Octane Installation errors

5031   4   3
8 posts
I'm kind of at a loss here. I have the .env file pointing to the correct version of Octane, but I'm still getting the “intended for a different version” error message (attached). I still get the menus inside of houdini, but then I get another error (attached) when i click on any shelf button.

As a side note, but less important, now the redshift plugin doesn't work, as it did before.

Is something possibly wrong with the order of my paths? I'm not a developer, so prone to mess-ups.

Any help would be so much appreciated, Thanks!

Posting here because the OTOY forums seem to be useless.

Attachments:
houdini-octane-dso-error-01.png (626.7 KB)
houdini-octane-tool-error-01.png (326.7 KB)

833 posts
Why don't you use Packages?

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
8 posts
Midphase
Why don't you use Packages?

I have no idea what they are, but I will give this a watch, thanks!
105 posts
mknudy
I'm kind of at a loss here. I have the .env file pointing to the correct version of Octane, but I'm still getting the “intended for a different version” error message (attached). I still get the menus inside of houdini, but then I get another error (attached) when i click on any shelf button.

As a side note, but less important, now the redshift plugin doesn't work, as it did before.

Is something possibly wrong with the order of my paths? I'm not a developer, so prone to mess-ups.

Any help would be so much appreciated, Thanks!

Posting here because the OTOY forums seem to be useless.
Here is my package, hope it helps

{
“enable”:false,
“env” : [
{“OCTANE_ROOT”:“D:/Dropbox/Assets/Houdini_Tools/Renderers/Octane_2020.1.4.0_Houdini_18.0.532_vr_Win64”},
{“HOUDINI_PATH” : “${OCTANE_ROOT}”},
{“PATH” : “${OCTANE_ROOT}/bin”}
]
}
- David
16 posts
ayanm
I also have the same issue. I'm trying to run the demo version.
First of all I tried the packages and wrote the json file which mr.dyts said above here
but it didn't recognize

so I wrote the json file like this referencing the axiom's json file which is already recognized and runs well

{
"env" :[
{"OCTANE_ROOT":"C:\HoudiniSetting\Houdini18.5\packages\Octane_2020.1.5.3_Houdini_18.5.351_demo_Win64"},
{"HOUDINI_PATH":"$OCTANE_ROOT"},
{"PATH":"$OCTANE_ROOT/bin"}
]
}

it is recognized but once I try to put geo node at first, it crashes.
it says "17272: fatal error : Segmentation fault"

What should I do ?
I'm new to these kind of things so any help would be appreciated..
Thanks in advance !

(April 11, 2021)

The post I'm quoting was deleted for some reason (thanks google cache).

I had the same exact problem. You absolutely have to use the version of Octane that supports the Houdini version that you're using. I was using Houdini 18.5.561 but my Octane was "Octane_2020.2.3.1_Houdini_18.5.351" - so if a new Houdini version drops you gotta just be patient. It worked only a few times until it broke when I installed SideFX labs. Now it all works fine even with SideFX Labs because the versions match.
  • Quick Links