Redshift - Loading Objects

6695   9   0
30 posts
I'm trying to render this simulation in Redshift and takes forever to load objects. It took 90 minutes to load objects before it started rendering.

The scene contains an object voronoi shattered into 25000 pieces with a scale simulation. From what I've read, Redshift doesn't handle large scenes like this particularly well. Except I didn't imagine it would take this long.

What I find confusing is that it only takes this long when I apply a Redshift texture. Without a texture, waiting time is approx 2 minutes.

Any idea why it's taking such a long time?

I'm running Redshift on a TR2920x, rtx 3090 with 64gb's ram, if that means anything.

Cheers

Attachments:
screencap.png (2.1 MB)

125 posts
This should not take long to load, I have rendered millions of objects with no problem before, instances that is.

Have you pressed the “instance packed geometry” in the “instance” redshift tab? if you are using packed geo?
Edited by Heileif - Nov. 17, 2020 14:52:50
30 posts
They're not instances - i'm still trying to figure out a way to use instances while maintaining the shape of the object. Halving the fracture count seems to bring the loading time to 1-2 minutes.

I'm probably committing a newbie mistake somewhere but this will have to do for now.
125 posts
If you share the setup I can take a look.

Juanjo(Houdini Redshift developer) over at the Redshift forum can probably help you to.

How long does it take Mantra to start btw?
Edited by Heileif - Nov. 17, 2020 18:13:47
30 posts
I can't share the exact setup, but I've made an example scene that should demonstrate my problem. It has no textures, which, as I've mentioned, takes even longer to render for me.

And Mantra starts pretty much instantly.

Appreciate the help. I'll definitely look into the Redshift forums.

Attachments:
example_scene.hiplc (345.7 KB)

125 posts
Hello.

I have checked the scene now, not sure why it should take so long to extract the geo, not many points when unpacking.

But anyway, I have added a workaround in this file.

I have only splitted the geo intro four parts, and each part have it's own sop node.

What I think is happening now, is that each sop node get's it's own thread to work with. The startup is under 10 sec now on my machine.

If you need more voronoi pieces I would think splitting up into more sops node will work to increase speed.

Hope it helps.
Edited by Heileif - Nov. 18, 2020 14:35:34

Attachments:
example_scene_tweaked.hiplc (772.6 KB)

30 posts
Wow, that's a neat workaround - started much faster than before.

Definitely interested in purchasing a Redshift license now.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks heaps, Heileif!
Edited by reuben94 - Nov. 18, 2020 17:12:09
125 posts
Hello,

I have a little update on speeding up the loading of many objects.

Add a "Clean" sop before the render flag inside the sop node, the render will start all most instant

Qoute from Juanjo(Redshift Houdini developer)

"Also sometimes computing the tangents on the plugin side can be very slow if the objects have degenerated geometry. Cleaning the mesh using the Clean SOP or computing the tangents at sop level using the Polyframe SOP can help a lot."
1 posts
Heileif
"Also sometimes computing the tangents on the plugin side can be very slow if the objects have degenerated geometry. Cleaning the mesh using the Clean SOP or computing the tangents at sop level using the Polyframe SOP can help a lot."

Whoa! Cant believe how much quicker things are by sticking a clean SOP in. Thanks for this tip.
1 posts
Heileif
Hello,

I have a little update on speeding up the loading of many objects.

Add a "Clean" sop before the render flag inside the sop node, the render will start all most instant

Qoute from Juanjo(Redshift Houdini developer)

You are a hero! Just saved me after 2 days of headache with an RBD Fracture material animation.
I have 12 0000 packed primitives but Redshift took ages to load the geo!
Now it's like freaking instant! Can't believe it struggled so much with some crappy points or something.. I'm blown away!

Thanx you sir!
  • Quick Links