Can't get engine working in Unity

2560   4   1
47 posts
Hi. I can't get Houdini Engine working in unity. I tried different versions of unity as well as two latest versions of Houdini/engine. In all cases I get error "Houdini engine could not determine the Houdini installation directory". Tried specifying Houdini path manually in plugin settings, but that does not change anything. (It detects and shows correct path in settings anyway).
Tried clean reainstall of Houdini couple times - removing everything and installing from scratch. Still nothing.

It works fine in Unreal though!

I even tried adding HFS env variable in windows settings pointing to my Houdini dir, but then I get different errror about wrong houdini engine version (3.5.1 plugin vs found 3.4.0). I have just one Houdini+Engine version combo installed.

Edited by rendereverything - Jan. 21, 2021 13:51:41
47 posts
Session sync is also not workin. It launches Houdini, but then can't connect to it - shows "connection failed" error all the time, although in Houdini's session sync window it shows that the service is running.
It feels like it's something specific on my PC with Unity not being able to connect to Houdini Engine services. I just have no idea what could it be.. especially when Unreal is working fine.
47 posts
Got it working by defining HFS environment variable in Windows - pointing to my Houdini installation.
I don't know why - seems like it should work without doing that? Any ideas?

After doing this, Houdini did not start itself. What I did instead is just defined environment variable in Houdini Engine source:

Added:
System.Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable("HFS", appPath);
in HEU_Platform.cs, SetHoudiniEngine path function.

I thing something is wrong specifically on my PC, but no idea what
Edited by rendereverything - Jan. 22, 2021 08:24:15
100 posts
I'm not entirely sure why this would be the case. When you override Houdini install path, does it show up in the heu_settings.ini file in the main project folder?
47 posts
I believe this was something specificly broken on the version of Unity I was using or something with my machine. Since reinstalling Windows and updating Unity to the newest version, everything seems to be working fine now.
Sorry for the confusion. I guess you can delete this thread.
Edited by rendereverything - March 24, 2021 17:06:57
  • Quick Links