Why is Unreal plugin V2 slow?

2234   5   2
7 posts
Hi.

I have recently updated Houdini and the plugin for unreal to version 18.5.499. In this version of the plugin v1 is no longer shipped with the Houdini installer, so I upgraded to the v2 plugin. But everything is extremely slow to update after that. For instance, I have a fence asset that I placed in a level that I could edit in real-time before the switch. Now, if i edit it, it takes between 20 seconds, up to 3 minutes to see a change after I change a parameter.

In a new level it's marginally slower than the v1 plugin. But in a fleshed out level with a lot of Houdini assets it's way slower. There seems to be a correlation between the number of assets in a level and the baking/cooking speed.

The demo videos says the v2 plugin is faster. So does anybody know what could be wrong and how to fix?
Edited by Grainiek - March 10, 2021 08:47:55
7 posts
An example.

Attachments:
Slow.mp4 (5.8 MB)

38 posts
I don't have the same issue. And also cooking a sop here can block UE4. I don't know why you can still make UE4 respond during the cooking process.
7 posts
I used the version 1 of the plugin prior to this upgrade. Then unreal froze during the bake. But it behaves quite differently with version 2 of the plugin.
7 posts
Same thing happens to me. Were you able to find a solution?
7 posts
It seems to be linked to the number of Houdini assets you have in the level. The plugin loops over each and every one of the tools each time you make a change.

I got this reply about it from the sideFx support. I haven't tried to update to the daily build variant of the plugin. I reverted to 18.5.462 and use the V1 plugin instead. That way I know the speed is ok and I don't have to remake all splines for all the Houdini assets placed in the levels.

"Oh, yes, 500 Houdini Assets would totally explain the delay in updates!

This issue should be fixed in recent (daily) builds of the plugin, as I have improved the way the plugin ticks/updates HDAs,
selected/actives HDAs are now prioritized, and the plugin now processes multiple HDA per tick.
Before that change, the plugin was processing one hda at a time, one after the other... in your case, that meant that, in the worst case, 500 ticks would be required to start the update..."
  • Quick Links