VAT 3 with Niagara

5562   4   1
2 posts
Hello, I was wondering if there is any specific workflow for VAT 3 that I would need to follow to get any export (RBD,Soft & Dyn ReMesh) working as a mesh particle in Niagara. It used to work for me using VAT 2.1 exports, but now it seems to just blow up and freak out. If I drop any of my exports into the editor, they work fine and as expected, but not inside a Niagara system. I have tried everything that I could think of, and since I use VATs a lot as a particle, I really need help figuring this out. Totally stuck and under the gun.

Thanks in advance and any help would be super appreciated
-Ernie

Forgot - Houdini v18.5.672 and UE v4.26.6
Edited by e105 - Sept. 2, 2021 12:41:55
Staff
99 posts
e105
Hello, I was wondering if there is any specific workflow for VAT 3 that I would need to follow to get any export (RBD,Soft & Dyn ReMesh) working as a mesh particle in Niagara. It used to work for me using VAT 2.1 exports, but now it seems to just blow up and freak out. If I drop any of my exports into the editor, they work fine and as expected, but not inside a Niagara system. I have tried everything that I could think of, and since I use VATs a lot as a particle, I really need help figuring this out. Totally stuck and under the gun.

Thanks in advance and any help would be super appreciated
-Ernie

Forgot - Houdini v18.5.672 and UE v4.26.6

Hi Ernie, in order to make standard VAT usage easier and faster, it means when you want use VAT3 with instanced meshes (including ISM, HISM, mesh particles, foliage, etc.), you need to do something slightly different. Not overly complicated, but closer to what you need to do for 2.1. It's described in full details here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zOyke6 [www.artstation.com] Please scroll down to find the slide titled VAT3.0: Instancing, Mesh Particles and Legacy Parameters.
Edited by MaiAo - Sept. 2, 2021 14:02:41
Mai Ao
Senior Technical Lead of SideFX Labs
youtube.com/@notverydarkmagic
2 posts
Ha! I totally overlooked this section, my bad lol! I did run into one issue with this setup. When I override time with a particle relative time, it seems to spawn twice. But, I found a work around by using a dynamic param to override display frame. It works like a charm I really appreciate your help! Thanks man!
1 posts
Hello, I've managed to make it work as a Mesh particle but for some reason the animation is not as smooth as on the static mesh. Is it maybe the Interframe interpolation?

The one on the left is the Mesh particle plugged in a Niagara System with the legacy features.
The one on the right is the static mesh with the default VAT material.

UE5
Houdini 18.5.696

Attachments:
Blood Issue.gif (10.3 MB)

Staff
99 posts
sebastianDP
Hello, I've managed to make it work as a Mesh particle but for some reason the animation is not as smooth as on the static mesh. Is it maybe the Interframe interpolation?

Hey, interframe interpolation is not possible with Dynamic Remeshing (Fluid) mode. The right one looks like it has motion blur on. Did you set up motion blur for your simulate? There is a slide on the guide about motion blur and how fluid mode's motion blur must be configured differently from the other 3 modes.

Please see if that fixes it, if not, feel free to send us a test file to debug.

Cheers.

Attachments:
sidefx-labs-powerpnt-xn8yg8c9u0.jpg (643.8 KB)

Mai Ao
Senior Technical Lead of SideFX Labs
youtube.com/@notverydarkmagic
  • Quick Links