WIP - Medieval City [Game Art]

3116   6   0
Staff
7 posts
Greetings fellow wizards!

I'm building a procedural medieval city for this challenge.
It's going to be kind of low poly for use in top down strategy cameras.

The main driving input for the shape is going to be a curve.
Besides that I'm planning on adding various features like generating roads and buildings, a main gate with a wall offset slider, a castle based on the size of the city and various other things.

This is my progress so far, the input curve driving the walls and towers of the city.

Have fun to all participants
Edited by Christos Stavridis - Sept. 5, 2021 05:30:32

Attachments:
MedievalCity_WIP01.gif (4.2 MB)

Christos Stavridis
Technical Artist
SideFX Labs
7 posts
I can't wait to see how this gonna turn ! awesome idea !
Edited by Zhaie - Sept. 5, 2021 10:42:47
16 posts
Wow, looks cool!
Staff
7 posts
So, today I got to work a little bit on various generators.

I got to give input for the generation of the castle which I'm later going to filter based on the city area.
Also there's a gate with a wall selector. A point input for the market and a fountain and some basic house scattering with variations. The position of the gate also affects the various areas. The city planning still needs a lot of work to be done.

That's all for now

Attachments:
MedievalCity_WIP02.png (638.8 KB)

Christos Stavridis
Technical Artist
SideFX Labs
Staff
7 posts
This weekend I got to work a little bit on some mechanics and some asset making.

Regarding the mechanics, I got to work a little bit on the scattering of buildings, trees and various other assets like crates, wells etc. Still have a lot of work to do because I'm not quite satisfied with the result. Apart from scattering I worked a little bit on the perimeter, having the option to duplicate the tower resolution and have some jitter effects, the option to offset the gate and various other minor things regarding variation.

As for the assets, I got to make some buildings with Iván Batalla's work as a huge reference (I made kind of a ripoff actually for time saving purposes). I got to find this beautiful package https://skfb.ly/6FKTF [skfb.ly] and I loved it. I'm going to copy his art style for now so I can focus on the functionality of the asset. Hopefully I'm going to work on the art later on and catch the deadline.

Next, I'm going to work on the streets and buildings to build a more beautiful composition with some extra assets for variation.
Edited by Christos Stavridis - Sept. 12, 2021 16:33:08

Attachments:
MedievalCity_WIP03A.png (699.1 KB)
MedievalCity_WIP03B.png (67.0 KB)

Christos Stavridis
Technical Artist
SideFX Labs
900 posts
Very curious about this, it looks very promising already!
Any new update?

cheers
Staff
7 posts
Hey everyone!

Today I got to work a little bit on the asset.
I think the most important feature of this asset is the scattering of buildings, trees, etc. and I think I finally got somethink that might work. This is also a work in progress but I think I am finally getting somewhere. It's a great challenge to get it to work with different shapes and the ending result to also be good looking.

Besides that I got to separate the ground and roads meshes to have different textures. There is also a market (also work in progress regarding the modeling) with the option to offset anywhere in the road junctions. The beggining of a castle, also with the option to position it somewhere in the heart of the city. Finally, a second gate and a castle gate, with the option to offset the position to different walls and an open/closed gate toggle.

That's all for one, next time I'm going to work a little bit on the scattering mechanics and hopefully a little bit on modeling and uv unwrapping to create a texture atlas.

Cheers

Attachments:
MedievalCity_WIP04.png (413.9 KB)

Christos Stavridis
Technical Artist
SideFX Labs
  • Quick Links