Houdini 19 doesn't load AT ALL on Ubuntu 21.10

44776   117   19
233 posts
mzigaib
Actually I got a lot of fatal errors when I try to launch:

12441: Fatal error: Segmentation fault (sent by pid 1433951232)

This is what says that log:

Crash report from user; Unknown App Version 19.0.451
Uptime 0 seconds
Sun Nov 28 15:51:49 2021
Caught signal 11

Traceback from 12441 ThreadId=0x7ff2a9f16dc0
AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler::operator()(int, siginfo_t*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo_t*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
__GI___sigaction <libc.so.6>
free <libjemalloc.so.1>
_nv014glcore <libnvidia-glcore.so.495.44>
_nv014glcore <libnvidia-glcore.so.495.44>
<libGLX_nvidia.so.0>
vk_icdNegotiateLoaderICDInterfaceVersion <libGLX_nvidia.so.0>

But I type Houdini again until it works, weird but it works.

I am hoping that since Fedora 35 is relatively new some future updates can solve the problem?

I normally get at least one segmentation fault message after running 'export LD_PRELOAD..' command. Then houdini eventually loads. Quite disappointing that this hasn't yet been addressed somehow.

I also find this version very unstable with Karma ROP when Karma Viewport is up.

Last but not least, it feels in general that H19 is slower than previous verions. I don't know exactly what it is, but simulations in general feel somewhat slower. A fiend of mine who works as a professional VFX designer and have been using Houdini for over 15 years had the same comment two days after using H19.
97 posts
It did start after all exporting again and typing. Hope this will be fixed soon, I expect issues from autodesk maya on linux but Houdini was always great )
10 posts
I am also having this problem on Fedora 33.

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Installing libxcb doesn't fix the issue.

Any ideas?

Update: Just installed the latest build, 19.0.455 and still the same. Will have to go back to 18.5 I guess.
Edited by morecoffeeman - Dec. 2, 2021 06:10:51
948 posts
morecoffeeman
I am also having this problem on Fedora 33.

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Installing libxcb doesn't fix the issue.

Any ideas?

Update: Just installed the latest build, 19.0.455 and still the same. Will have to go back to 18.5 I guess.

Se if running houdini a few times get it working, it does for me like I have to run it around 3 times to work.
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
233 posts
I agree. It’s disappointing. Especially since 18.5 seems to work completely fine on the new Linux releases.
948 posts
I don't know if it is a OS or a Houdini issue but I am sure that it will be fixed soon.
Edited by mzigaib - Dec. 3, 2021 23:24:19
10 posts
Thanks for the advice but no luck for me.

I will look at it more when I have time, I must be missing a package or something.
117 posts
This fixed the problem for us, except we were having it with Ubuntu 20.04/h19 (h18.5 was working ok). Curious to know how/where you found this fix? I wasted quite a few hours reinstalling nVidia drivers and other futzing around.

Cheers
Drew

kubo-von
mariusz8
In my case this fix is not working:

Ubuntu 21.10

That's a different error though.
You have to do
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0
to fix this one.
10 posts
After much searching and a lot of failed attempts I finally have it working on Fedora.

So not only do you need to install libxcb you need to install all it's accompanying packages.

What I installed was the following:

libxcb libxcb-devel xcb-util xcb-util-devel xcb-util-*-devel libX11-devel libXrender-devel libxkbcommon-devel libxkbcommon-x11-devel libXi-devel libdrm-devel libXcursor-devel libXcomposite-devel

I now have 19.0.455 working without any crashes so far.
97 posts
will have to try, as the only thing that worked for me is hit that export then coupe time from terminal hindi... and then it goes... nasty.. will try that, thanks.

And there was I praising Houdini and even blender running without issues on Linux install and go... Now they started the same as Maya.. install a ton of libs first.. man.. Hope it will be fixed properly
10 posts
Hopefully it should work for you too.

I am able to launch Houdini from the menu shortcut without any problems, I am using cinnamon DE with Fedora (I don't think that should make any difference).
19 posts
I was googling xcb/QT related errors on linux and found this [askubuntu.com]

drew
This fixed the problem for us, except we were having it with Ubuntu 20.04/h19 (h18.5 was working ok). Curious to know how/where you found this fix? I wasted quite a few hours reinstalling nVidia drivers and other futzing around.

Cheers
Drew

kubo-von
mariusz8
In my case this fix is not working:

Ubuntu 21.10

That's a different error though.
You have to do
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxcb-xinerama0
to fix this one.
17 posts
Besides going through all the struggles and hacks mentioned here I was as well instantly crashing H19 on Ubuntu 21.10 when just clicking on the new curve tool in shelf or creating the node in network pane. The error in the log looked very similar to what is reported here by other users.

I tried to roll back the nvidia driver from 495 to 470 (tested) and got it working okay. Even though it still takes like 2-3 tries every time to launch Houdini, I can at least draw that bloody curve now!

... Maybe this could help some of you guys too.
233 posts
pavelsiska
Besides going through all the struggles and hacks mentioned here I was as well instantly crashing H19 on Ubuntu 21.10 when just clicking on the new curve tool in shelf or creating the node in network pane. The error in the log looked very similar to what is reported here by other users.

I tried to roll back the nvidia driver from 495 to 470 (tested) and got it working okay. Even though it still takes like 2-3 tries every time to launch Houdini, I can at least draw that bloody curve now!

... Maybe this could help some of you guys too.

I agree. Everything about Houdini 19 on 21.10 is a bloody mess. What's more frustrating is the lack of official response from sidefx and still no fix. It might be that there's nothing they can do about these things and it's all on Ubuntu and drivers but hey 18.5 runs perfectly on the same Os.
29 posts
A fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 and h19.

sudo apt install libopengl0 freeglut3 freeglut3-dev

Worked for me. Thanks!
17 posts
alunablue

Worked for me. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what version of nvidia driver are you using?
29 posts
pavelsiska
alunablue

Worked for me. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what version of nvidia driver are you using?

NVidia 470 (tested)
948 posts
alunablue

Worked for me. Thanks!

Thanks, but I am using Fedora 35.
13 posts
Any news on this?
Running Pop!_OS 21.10 x86_64 based on ubuntu I still have to do export LD_PRELOAD="/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc_malloc_debug.so.0" before running Houdini.

The best part is that sometimes Houdini launches, sometimes not.
It always gets segmentation fault when quitting normally as well.

Applies to both 18.5 and latest 19.0 production build.
Edited by Hampus Hedberg2 - Dec. 30, 2021 17:17:28
29 posts
Do not try to overwrite your nvidia driver.

You must completely remove everything to do with nvidia:
sudo apt-get remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

Then reinstall the desktop:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You can then install nvidea-driver-470 (proprietary, tested)

Hope that helps.
  • Quick Links