PDG: Rop Fetch doesn't generate mesh correctly

2046   3   1
10 posts
Hi,

I have an issue with a top network. If I run the network, the fbx files generated by the ROP Fetch node don't have any geometry data in them. (checked this by exporting as ascii). The files get created, but no geometry data in them. Just boilerplate fbx format stuff.
My issue is this. If I then select work items and manually click "Save To Disk" everything works. The mesh is exported correctly.

The setup is straight-forward. A python sop reads a json file and generates points. I iterate over the points and load character meshes by reading attributes from the points. Merge the meshes -> process -> export with rop fbx character output. Manually, everything works as expected.

The top network is even simpler. It just processes some json files to get the file names and runs a rop fetch. Nothing fancy.

If I run the pdg network it generates some files, named correctly, but there's no geometry data in the fbx.
If I select workitems, wait for the network to update and select the rop fbx character output node and click "Save to disk" it works as intended.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Edited by Bleeck - Nov. 25, 2021 12:24:31

Attachments:
hd.jpg (102.1 KB)
pdg.jpg (63.5 KB)

Staff
585 posts
Are you able to attach an example .hip file that reproduces the issue? My guess would be that something may be wrong with the way the .json file is being loaded and the geometry is in fact empty, but only went cooked via the TOP network. It's hard to say without being able to cook the file though.
10 posts
I built a version of the hip that fails in the same way. I don't know if it's ok to post zip files here. I zipped it to keep the folder structure so the network finds everything. (although you'll probably have to change the file paths in the jsons)

There's a part of the network that takes a few seconds to cook. It scatters points on the mesh and does some raycasts from those points. This is what seems to cause the problems. If I remove that part, it seems to work just fine.

Attachments:
TESTHIP.zip (1.2 MB)

10 posts
After digging a bit more I figured out that the issue is the measure sop. It was set to Measure by Piece. After setting it to Measure by Element, it works as intended.

I don't know why it doesn't work with measure by piece when cooking from pdg. It seems to cook just fine when running it "by hand".
Edited by Bleeck - Nov. 28, 2021 18:17:43
  • Quick Links