Advantages of a "professional" GPU when working with Houdini

1937   4   1
20 posts
Hello Guys,
Is there any advantage in having a "professional CPU" (like a Quadro) when using it with Houdini? Is there any noticeable difference in terms of stability or driver support for example?

In my case I have the choice between a laptop with a so-called "professional" GPU (an NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000) and a few ones with "consumer" GPUs (GeForce RTX 3070 Ti or GeForce RTX 3070). The Quadro is based on the Geforce RTX 2070, so on paper it's technically weaker than the 3070 (for example it has only 6GB vRAM instead of 8GB).

What are your thoughts?
138 posts
Can't see any difference,just use the game card.
146 posts
Raschko
Hello Guys,
Is there any advantage in having a "professional CPU" (like a Quadro) when using it with Houdini? Is there any noticeable difference in terms of stability or driver support for example?

In my case I have the choice between a laptop with a so-called "professional" GPU (an NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000) and a few ones with "consumer" GPUs (GeForce RTX 3070 Ti or GeForce RTX 3070). The Quadro is based on the Geforce RTX 2070, so on paper it's technically weaker than the 3070 (for example it has only 6GB vRAM instead of 8GB).

What are your thoughts?

Studio drivers from nVidia for the GeForce line seem reasonably stable, not a single problem for me for the last 2 years. I suppose a Quadro could potentially offer some stability gains and even more stable drivers, specifically if you use the card for constant rendering, but otherwise I don't see a reason to go Quadro. I think I remember Quadro cards also offered some viewport enhancements in some 3D apps, but I don't think that's still the case.
1618 posts
As a company, you're not allowed to use regular Geforces in a datacenter type situation.
For an individual user this is irrelevant (also if you're looking into the reality of some crypto mining practises).

For us, the Quadros have always lived longer than the consumer cards.
Whether or not this is relevant to you, depends on your situation.

When in doubt, and being an individual on a budget, I'd go the nvidia consumer route.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
20 posts
Thank you guys, that is really helpful.
I think I'll go for the consumer card.
  • Quick Links