Converting edges to curves

1592   5   0
18 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to convert my edges into curves like the image below. The idea is to randomly split the primitives (or faces?) with curves. I was able to divide it randomly by randomizing the point's position on a grid, but I couldn't convert it to a curve. Any idea how to do this?

I have this idea to divide the edges into lots of segments, loop through each point, and perform bezier-like calculations to modify its position. But it's too much work I guess and the result might not be that pretty. Any simpler solution?

Attachments:
curve regions.png (59.0 KB)
curve regions progress.png (811.7 KB)

166 posts
To convert edges into curves I always use the Labs Edge Group to Curve node.

What you're trying to do sounds like something the new 19.5 node Labs PolyScalpel node was made to do, but I haven't had a chance to look into it, so I don't really know what it does or how it works.
474 posts
Here is an approach, starting with a grid, defining arrays of points for each row and column and extracting curves from each array. Once you have curves you can resample them and make the intersection points equidistant (in u-space). After this you can subdivide your gridpoints and move the the gridpoints to the corresponding curves.

I haven't tried, but boolean operation should also work, once you have the curves ... .

Attachments:
grid_line_to_curves.hipnc (230.7 KB)

18 posts
Digipiction
To convert edges into curves I always use the Labs Edge Group to Curve node.

What you're trying to do sounds like something the new 19.5 node Labs PolyScalpel node was made to do, but I haven't had a chance to look into it, so I don't really know what it does or how it works.

I still don't understand how Labs Edge Group to Curve works. The name sounds exactly what I need, but I couldn't find any example of this node. Thanks for the info.
18 posts
Aizatulin
Here is an approach, starting with a grid, defining arrays of points for each row and column and extracting curves from each array. Once you have curves you can resample them and make the intersection points equidistant (in u-space). After this you can subdivide your gridpoints and move the the gridpoints to the corresponding curves.

I haven't tried, but boolean operation should also work, once you have the curves ... .

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks a lot!
I did a test with boolean (extruding curve, cutting the grid) and it looks ok(ish) too but a little bit messy.

Thanks for the help!
56 posts
jttarigan
Hi,

I'm trying to convert my edges into curves like the image below. The idea is to randomly split the primitives (or faces?) with curves. I was able to divide it randomly by randomizing the point's position on a grid, but I couldn't convert it to a curve. Any idea how to do this?

I have this idea to divide the edges into lots of segments, loop through each point, and perform bezier-like calculations to modify its position. But it's too much work I guess and the result might not be that pretty. Any simpler solution?

the "curve to edge" node is handy for getting some curve like stuff from polygons,
based on that then we can get the edge group what we need for the edgecusp operation
Image Not Found

Attachments:
cut_plane_with_edges.hip (228.2 KB)

• Quick Links