Shockwave FX blasting (Shattering) a piece of rock

1114   2   1
2 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to simulated the effect of a shockwave travelling into a liquid and blasting a rock when passing through it.
I believe that I should generate the propagation of the wave in a velocity field that I should then appli as a force field to break appart all the voronoi generated shatter pieces.
But how can I generated the progressive propagation of the shockwave and its related velocity field ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
2531 posts
Check the SimpleFX shelf. There is a Simple Shockwave icon to generate the setup.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
Enivob
Check the SimpleFX shelf. There is a Simple Shockwave icon to generate the setup.

Thanks Enivo for answering.

I've had a look at the Simple shockwave setup, but it's not the kind of behavior i'm looking for.

I'm not looking for that kind of pyro explosion. I'm working for a company which develops a technology to fracture rocks based on shockwaves in water.

What I need is to dislocate the rock as long as the shockwave travels through it (i'm not sure it is clear)

Imagine an entire city where, at the center, a nuclear bomb is dropped.

The shockwave generated by the explosion will look like a circle that expands at high speed and dislocate the building while it propagates through the city. I want the same effect for my rock. Basically, the velocity of the wave front is transmitted to the rock, locally where it crosses the rock, even in the inside of it. This energy transfer makes the rock to dislocate where the force is transmitted. The shock wave (pressure pulse) travels at very high speed (about 1500m/s).

I'm sure it's not that complicated, but unfortunately, I'm too new to Houdini to understand what would be the best rig for it.

I've made an attempt I joined to this message, if you have a minute to have a look and to tell me where i'm wrong.

Whatever, if you have time or not, thanks for helping.

S.
Image Not Found
Edited by sylvainbergeon - July 26, 2022 14:56:17

Attachments:
rock_crushing_simulation.hipnc (1.1 MB)

• Quick Links