digital assets and its inputs

3107   11   1
575 posts
hello,
first, is it possible to create inputs for a own digital assets that look like the inputs of the reference lop,
one input for a single node and a input for multiple connections?

and what does the "is reference" check box in the type properties page under inputs/outputs mean? I can not tell the difference.

thanks
Martin

Attachments:
ref.JPG (11.9 KB)
otlprop.JPG (32.3 KB)

8532 posts
sanostol
is it possible to create inputs for a own digital assets that look like the inputs of the reference lop,
I don't think you can, probably just HDK
you can do multiinput by specifying lots of inputs, but not sure if you can split off the first one like that in HDA

sanostol
and what does the "is reference" check box in the type properties page under inputs/outputs mean? I can not tell the difference
reference inputs show connecting wires as dashed lines
to my experience it's purely visual, it doesn't have any functional meaning, many factory nodes however use dashed line to suggest that that geo doesn't get passed to the output but merely used as a reference or helper geo (but again purely for visual purposes completely up to the author which lines they make dashed)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
311 posts
Like this?

Attachments:
lop_reference_subnet.png (152.3 KB)

Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
575 posts
@Tomas
Thanks Tomas, I guessed it it hdk territory, good to know.

@SWest
I don't want to recreate the reference lop, just the functionality of the inputs for a completely different node
311 posts
If you make it an HDA likely you can do anything with it. Probably you can anyway. It IS another node. Just paste your own network inside.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
575 posts
@SWest
Mh, can You describe the workflow. The reference LOP is a closed hdk build asset, so You can not dive into into it. And You mentioned "converting" a subnet to a reference LOP, what do You mean by this?
Martin
575 posts
okay, well, there is no option to convert a node in the right click menu, just to change type and well, it changes the type. That's it. the image You showed earlier is show just to reference nodes. one has a additional parameter, that's it.
I doubt You get a new hda with Your content and functionality, but the interface of the other one. That's not how hdas work, You define then in the type properties and every functionality that You want to have must be available there.
575 posts
Have You ever opened the type properties of the reference lop and the rig pose sop? Or even tried to dive into the reference Lop?

There are different ways to create digital assets. You can use the tools sidefx provides with their tools inside houdini or You can create them by hdk. the houdini tools are easy to use and very good, but hdk gives You more control and it is more challenging to create them. You have to write them in c++ and compile them for Your target system.
Edited by sanostol - Oct. 9, 2022 12:11:31
8532 posts
SWest if you have an example of a HDA with input distribution like Reference LOP I think many people would appreciate that

From your descriptions it sounds like you are just describing creating an HDA in general, but the actual question is about defining inputs to be single input + multiinput, which I've seen only on HDK nodes, not HDAs
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
311 posts
tamte
SWest if you have an example of a HDA with input distribution like Reference LOP I think many people would appreciate that

From your descriptions it sounds like you are just describing creating an HDA in general, but the actual question is about defining inputs to be single input + multiinput, which I've seen only on HDK nodes, not HDAs

Maybe some testing will be needed to see that everything really works, but here are some rough ideas.

Left: It is possible to dynamically build the UI of a node, so the left approach should work. However, there are no visual connections between nodes.

Right: It should be possible to dynamically check what inputs are used and programmatically reorder things. This is a subnet HDA with 100 inputs. So if you drag your connection to any input on the right side, it should be possible to automatically move it far left. It is somewhat a hack and I'm not sure if it feels good to use. If so, maybe it is possible to fix.
Edited by SWest - Oct. 9, 2022 16:58:07

Attachments:
subnets_inputs_visual_prototype.png (145.3 KB)

8532 posts
Question is purely about the same visual style
Since there are many HDK nodes defined this way not only in LOPs but also DOPs

And it has an advantage over full multiinput, mostly that you can easily see and manage first input connection
For now I'll continue assuming it's not possible in HDA
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
575 posts
@SWest
I was really only interested in this one specific behavior and Tomas addressed it.
  • Quick Links