APPRENTICE HOUDINI WILL NOT RUN

12210   12   2
4 posts
MY APPRENTICE VERSION OF HOUDINI WILL NOT RUN (IT DID AT ONE TIME) I CAN NOT EVEN STAY IN THE LICENSE ADMINISTRATOR FOR
VERY LONG BEACUSE MY WHOLE COMPUTER LOCKS UP AND I ULTIMATELY HAVE TO CUT THE POWER OFF (MANUALLY)AND RESTART.
I HAVE THE SESI DIAGNOSTIC BUT WHERE DO I SEND IT? I REALLY
WANT TO GET STARTED LEARNING THIS SO ANY SUPPORT YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE APPRECIATED!

:arrow: THX….RAC
1631 posts
Hi,

Did you install anything after the one time you got Houdini running? Also, which OS are you using? It would help to know the graphics card you're using and whether have you installed the latest drivers for it.

Last but not least, you can post the diagnostic information here.

Cheers!
steven
4 posts
IM RUNNING WINDOWS XP

32MB NVIDIA GE FORCE 2MX VIDEO CARD (AND HAVE INSTALLED THE
LATEST DRIVER FOR IT.)

AND THE ONLY NEW THING I HAVE INSTALLED I CAN RECOLLECT IS THE
REAL PLAYER ONE TO VIEW THE VIDEO TUTORIALS.

p.s how can i attach the diaganostic paper to the bulletin board? ops:

THX RAC
1631 posts
Hi,

You can save the diagnostic info as a text file then open the file using your favourite text editor.

Reply to this post & copy'n'paste the contents.

Cheers!
steven
1631 posts
RAC
IM RUNNING WINDOWS XP

32MB NVIDIA GE FORCE 2MX VIDEO CARD (AND HAVE INSTALLED THE
LATEST DRIVER FOR IT.)

AND THE ONLY NEW THING I HAVE INSTALLED I CAN RECOLLECT IS THE
REAL PLAYER ONE TO VIEW THE VIDEO TUTORIALS.

p.s how can i attach the diaganostic paper to the bulletin board? ops:
Hi,

Looking at the diagnostic info you sent, there's nothing wrong with your licenses or licensing setup.

It puzzles me as well why your machine will lock up. I've two suggestions though:

a. Try an older version of the graphics drivers instead of the latest. I know it sounds weird but it doesn't hurt to try.

b. Re-install Houdini

Cheers!
steven
4 posts
STEVEN IT DID SLIP MY MIND THAT WHEN I INTIALLY LAUNCHED HOUDINI FOR THE FIRST TIME I HAD A DIAL UP MODEM AND A DIFFERENT I.S.P THAN I DO NOW…I SWITHCHED TO A CABLE MODEM
AND A DIFFERENT I.S.P WOULD THIS POSSIBLY BE THE CULPRIT?

P.S I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO SWITCH BACK TO THE OLD NVIDIA DRIVER

THX
:arrow: RAC
1631 posts
Hi,

I don't think having a different ISP is the cause of your problem. The diagnostic info tells me you have an Apprentice license so you're fine in this area.

Cheers!
steven
1 posts
I encountered a very simular situation. I was trying to load the rollar coaster hip file from the tutorial CD. The entire system freezes about 30 seconds after the file is loaded. I am running the application on Window XP, with an ATI RADEON 8500 video card and an AMD Athlon 1800XP CPU. Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Sparhawk
170 posts
Radeon cards is a very bad choise for running Houdini on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATI's OpenGL support for their consumer cards is only good for running some of OGL based games but not Houdini.
The best you can do is create a system variable(Control Panel/System/Advanced/Enviroment Variables) called HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE and set it's value to 1. This will ensure that Houdini doesn't use your card and it will work flawlesly. However, this means that main CPU will be used instead of your graphic card but since your processor is preaty fast, you should be fine for most of the time.
The Things I Do For Love!
4 posts
STEVEN

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION( :idea: )OF RELOADING THE DRIVER FOR MY VIDEO CARD THIS DID THE TRICK AND IM BACK ON LINE NOW :!:

REGARDS…..

RAC
170 posts
This is an update to my post in this thread regarding Radeon8500
ATI released next version of driver for this card two days ago(version 02.3) and everything seems to be working fine now.
The Things I Do For Love!
1631 posts
RAC
STEVEN

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION( :idea: )OF RELOADING THE DRIVER FOR MY VIDEO CARD THIS DID THE TRICK AND IM BACK ON LINE NOW :!:

REGARDS…..

RAC
Hey,

That's always music to my ears!

Have fun!

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
Stremik
Radeon cards is a very bad choise for running Houdini on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATI's OpenGL support for their consumer cards is only good for running some of OGL based games but not Houdini.
The best you can do is create a system variable(Control Panel/System/Advanced/Enviroment Variables) called HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE and set it's value to 1. This will ensure that Houdini doesn't use your card and it will work flawlesly. However, this means that main CPU will be used instead of your graphic card but since your processor is preaty fast, you should be fine for most of the time.

Just as I was a bout to pull my last starnd of hair out!

Thank You!

Steve
  • Quick Links