Houdini 13 Wishlist.

156238   209   0
2624 posts
sambuev
Optimize code for OS X and Linux Ubuntu, fix minor bugs (I know 10 for one month of using it, I don't know where to report them and how).

Maybe read this sticky thread at the top for the forum http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=25347 [sidefx.com]

As for Fixes , read the journal , again found via the support menu

Rob
Gone fishing
12 posts
thank you circusmonkey I did not notice that at first glance. ops:
3D Hello!
1390 posts
I will repeat myself, but why not:

- Custom colors and annotation for takes (colors seen in param's background)
- Expressions in Smart Bundles (not just wildcards)
- Objects' level takes (a.k.a. respite, cough… cough)
- Take overwrite in ROP object selection (like tree@red_take)
- Enhence Param spreadsheet, display parms filter by folder, fix auto-rescale columns, presets
- GUI for categories selection, streamline the category pipeline
- Scriptable tree view (custom leaf insertion similar to Qt == user specified perspective on a scence)
1192 posts
SYmek
- Enhence Param spreadsheet, display parms filter by folder, fix auto-rescale columns, presets
++ for presets in Parameter Spreadsheet.

The parameter spreadsheet *could* be a great tool (I do think spreadsheets are a great tool for editing and animating multiple params) but it needs a bit of love.
Not being able to save a query for later, and to save the current state of the param spreadsheet between sessions is a big limitation.

D
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
166 posts
FabianoBerlim
Houdini Flip needs a polish in the meshing and reseeding technology.
Would be awesome if we could have:

Reconstructing Surfaces of Particle-Based Fluids Using Anisotropic Kernels - Yu 2010
It's a meshing technology that samples oval spheres, making the mesh very smooth without the need of filters.

A Particle-based Method for Preserving Fluid Sheets - Ryoichi Ando 2011
As the name says, get rid of holes in the thin fluid sheets areas. It's also dependent of the technology above.

And there's also a new and VERY impressive technology.
Highly Adaptive Liquid Simulations on Tetrahedral Meshes - Ryoichi Ando 2013
Link to video and paper: http://pub.ist.ac.at/group_wojtan/projects/2013_Ando_HALSoTM/index.html [pub.ist.ac.at]
This one have the code available, which makes it very easy to port. I don't know how much it could be beneficial, but at least is very impressive.
Might be too much to ask for, but yeah, this! ^
18 posts
Sorry if i'm repeating, but:
1. More sophisticated shutter model (like one in prman)
2. ROP output driver in CHOPs
3. It would be nice to have CHOP network which contains ‘file’ nodes recooked when the files update.
スタッフ
2540 posts
nimnul

You just want prman's shutteropening(opentime, closetime, optional spline points)?
There's at least one school like the old school!
18 posts
jeff
nimnul

You just want prman's shutteropening(opentime, closetime, optional spline points)?

Yes, exactly. I would be happy to have that in mantra.
1799 posts
I'll throw a small one, but goodie, as I also feel that the parameter spreadsheet is too awesome to not get some love

how about:

select multiple nodes,
right click,
choose parameter spreadsheet.

this loads a floating parameter spreadsheet panel with the selected nodes highlighted (currently, there are too many steps to get into the parameter spreadsheet IMO)

also:

select multiple nodes,
In the parameter panel, right click on a parameter,
choose parameter spreadsheet for selected nodes

This does the same as above, but sets the right clicked parameter as the parameter in focus for ALL selected nodes
-G
678 posts
I didn't had the time to read all posts so I don't know if my wishes were mentioned before:

It's just little things:

- Change the shortcuts / make them FULLY customizable
I tried it so hard but I can't habituate to navigating with the spacebar, sorry. Also changing my vieports with spacebar+b, it feels like trying to write with my left hand.

- I want the TAB menu to give me access to all nodes, no matter where my mouse is.

- Get inspired by Nuke and give me some visual feedback when nodes are connected with expressions. Nuke shows by default a green line between nodes that have a expression connection so, when you open up a project from someone else, you can see at first glance what is going on.

Actually I have a lot more wishes but I don't bring them up here. I had these discussions dozens of times and they never ended well. I don't want to provoke a quarrel.
4189 posts
Korny Klown
- Get inspired by Nuke and give me some visual feedback when nodes are connected with expressions. Nuke shows by default a green line between nodes that have a expression connection so, when you open up a project from someone else, you can see at first glance what is going on.

Does ‘Network Editor Display Options/Network View/ Show Local Dependency’ do this?
7025 posts
OK here you go

This does the first one, not the 2nd one. This is an Apprentice asset, so be careful

I too feel the parm spreadsheet has value, but currently needs some love. However, since it's very easy to script it, I made a little tool.

Cheers,

Peter B

grayOlorin
I'll throw a small one, but goodie, as I also feel that the parameter spreadsheet is too awesome to not get some love

how about:

select multiple nodes,
right click,
choose parameter spreadsheet.

this loads a floating parameter spreadsheet panel with the selected nodes highlighted (currently, there are too many steps to get into the parameter spreadsheet IMO)

also:

select multiple nodes,
In the parameter panel, right click on a parameter,
choose parameter spreadsheet for selected nodes

This does the same as above, but sets the right clicked parameter as the parameter in focus for ALL selected nodes

Attachments:
PJB_Pop_Spreadsheet_v01.otl.zip (3.7 KB)

18 posts
I'm quite new to PBR and I'm not sure if it makes much sense in the PBR way of thinking, but I feel like “categories” and “lightmask” support for primitive BSDFs might be a good thing to have.
7733 posts
Korny Klown
I tried it so hard but I can't habituate to navigating
with the spacebar, sorry.

What do you want to customize it to? Note this thread for the Alt key:
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/18048-alt-key-for-viewing-in-houdini/ [forums.odforce.net]

Also changing my vieports with spacebar+b, it feels like trying to write with my left hand.

This is customizable. First make sure you're in the View tool, right-mouse and then hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift+left click on the Toggle Single/Quad menu entry (last item). Alternatively, just search for the hotkey “b” in the Hotkey Manager.

Try turning on dependency links in the network display options. To get at the network display options, it's the right-most icon in the Network View pane's toolbar.
678 posts
edward
What do you want to customize it to? Note this thread for the Alt key:
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/18048-alt-key-for-viewing-in-houdini/ [forums.odforce.net]

Ok that's new. I was using the apprentice 12.1. Now I downloaded the 12.5 and give it a try

Also changing my vieports with spacebar+b, it feels like trying to write with my left hand.

edward
This is customizable. First make sure you're in the View tool, right-mouse and then hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift+left click on the Toggle Single/Quad menu entry (last item). Alternatively, just search for the hotkey “b” in the Hotkey Manager.

I know that this is customizable and my wish is probably just worded wrong. I just don't like that viewtool. It's true that you can change the shortcut B to let's say A or so but that doesn't change that I always have to press spacebar+A. I always have to temporarly change to the viewtool and that is what feels so unnatural. I have worked with Cinema 4D before and now I use Maya. No 3D software ever needed a viewtool so why does Houdini. Even if I can change the viewtool to the ALT key for example, I would always have to press ALT+B or ALT+A or ALT+anykey.

edward
Try turning on dependency links in the network display options. To get at the network display options, it's the right-most icon in the Network View pane's toolbar.

Yes, but it is limited because it only workes inside one network editor, an expression that connects nodes in different network editors is still not visible. That brings me to a wish that I didn't mentioned before. A dream would come true if Houdini could be designed to have everything working in in one network, well actually two, like Nuke. Imagine there would be different networks for keying, rotoscoping, 3D, color corrections and so on. Nuke wouldn't be, where it is right now.
Having just one network editor would open two doors:
1. All dependency links would be visible and you very easy can see what is going on
2. now you can integrate expression nodes (like mathops or a code node) that you can insert into that dependency link, so you can create expressions with nodes. This way you can make use of expressions without coding (useful for lazy people and people who don't know much about coding).
443 posts
I wonder why Houdini doesn't have this feature.
I wish that Houdini 13 will have drag and drop feature to open .hip file. And it would be nice if SESI added this feature to load .bgeo and other Houdini cache formats.
655 posts
And for OBJs, and for textures, etc… With OBJ files that have their MTL file associated it would be great to have it all setup automatically for you… I wish it was as easy as Keyshot for these things..

PradeepBarua
I wonder why Houdini doesn't have this feature.
I wish that Houdini 13 will have drag and drop feature to open .hip file. And it would be nice if SESI added this feature to load .bgeo and other Houdini cache formats.
1769 posts
hi guys!

1. For everyday work it is much needed the ability to use textures in SOPs.
I mean, that it could be geometry independent.
So You could create/paint attrib maps without worrying about your geometry resolution.
Not to mention using this for emission.
You could just specify the resolution of your texture map or could choose ptex if you don't have uv's.

2. There should be a context between SHOPs and VOPs, where you could use your assets and shaders to wire up a shading network. (would solve the layered texture/shader problem)
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
184 posts
I was just supping a cup of Earl Grey, thinking how much I love python, and how great the Wrangle SOPs are. And it struck me: You know what else I'd love? A Python Wrangler type node.

I know we can simply create Python Operator Types, but the inline Wrangle nodes have me spoiled.

(If there's already something like this I've overlooked, please mention it!)
4528 posts
There is an Inline Python SOP but it's not built-in
https://www.orbolt.com/asset/animatrix::inlinePython::1.00 [orbolt.com]
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links