Incorrect bounce behaviour of bullet solver

5622   3   0
2 posts
Hi.
I'm trying to drop a ball on the floor and i want some bounce happen. I made sphere and rbd object from shelf. With default settings, ball doesn't bounce at all (bounce set to 0.5). If i set “Use Parallel Constraint Solver” checkbox on, i'm getting nice bounce, but i also get big padding between floor and ball.
So my question is how to make nice bounce without huge padding between objects?
Thanks!

(14.0.231 build)

Attachments:
shot_150209_204035.gif (699.5 KB)

30 posts
This is not a feature, but a side effect of the parallel solver. You can check the documetation:

However, the multi-threaded constraint solver behaves differently than the single-threaded constraint solver in several ways:

The Split Impulse and Penetration Threshold parameters are not supported.

Objects tend to lose less energy in collisions versus the single-threaded constraint solver.

Instead try to play with physical parameters of the ball and the ground. There is a bounce parameter.
2 posts
pavelPeh
This is not a feature, but a side effect of the parallel solver. You can check the documetation:

However, the multi-threaded constraint solver behaves differently than the single-threaded constraint solver in several ways:

The Split Impulse and Penetration Threshold parameters are not supported.

Objects tend to lose less energy in collisions versus the single-threaded constraint solver.

Instead try to play with physical parameters of the ball and the ground. There is a bounce parameter.

Thanks for response.
So what is the best solution for simulating this kind of stuff? Set off multi-threaded constraint solver and crank up bounce parameter in physical tab?
9 posts
This might actually have more to do with your substeps, or what's happening between each frame. The ball is striking the ground somewhere between the frames and settling at that place. I could be wrong, but give it a shot.

Substep settings are found within the solver node.

Did you ever figure this out?
  • Quick Links