Fixing topology on deforming mesh from fluid sim

1585   1   1
1 posts
Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle.

In my scene I have a fluid sim that goes through the vdbfromparticles and convertvdb sops so that I convert my fluid particles to polygons.

The problem I have is that the topology in my new mesh changes every frame so I have a different point/poly count on every frame. I need a stable topology so that I can use Paul Ambrosiussen's skinning converter labs tool. I won't be able to go the vertex animation route here, I need a skinned mesh, although this would need fixing with vertex animation anyway.

I have spent some hours scouring various forums and haven't discovered a good solution to this. Tried going the lattice and cloth capture / deform sop route but have found the source, target and rest meshes need to be the same counts (which obviously changes every frame), as does the matchtopology sop. Polyreduce and remesh sops feed from the source which has jumping topology so they are of no use here. I've tried a little vex with little success.

Does anybody have thoughts on what I could try to keep the topology uniform across the duration of the sim?

Thanks in advance team!
101 posts
I'd like to bump this post. I am seeking a solution to the same problem. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
  • Quick Links