Snap to to an inclined face. Is it possible ?

1236   7   1
102 posts
When modeling, I often have a need to align a point along its edge along another face as a screenshot. In the blender, this is done easily by enabling the snap face project and the point is aligned at the intersection of the shift axis and the face. In Houdini, the binding to the face works differently and the alignment goes to the point where the cursor points. If the face is parallel to two axes, it doesn't matter. But for an inclined face, this is almost equivalent to a non-working snap. Is it possible to solve this somehow ? I tried using C-plane as well, but I couldn't get anything useful. And how do you do such snapping ?
Edited by HGaal - 2023年11月5日 10:05:34

Attachments:
Снимок экрана 2023-11-05 180345.png (308.8 KB)

181 posts
If I'm understanding correctly, I think boolean set to 'seam' mode would give you the reference points you need. You could then point snap to the generated points.
Image Not Found

I do agree that H's snapping could do with a serious upgrade. File your 'Request for Enhancement' (RFE) here: Bugs and RFE submissions [www.sidefx.com]
The more that ask, the more likely it is to be delivered.
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月5日 17:28:37

Attachments:
boolean seam snap.hiplc (158.5 KB)

7771 posts
HGaal
When modeling, I often have a need to align a point along its edge along another face as a screenshot. In the blender, this is done easily by enabling the snap face project and the point is aligned at the intersection of the shift axis and the face. In Houdini, the binding to the face works differently and the alignment goes to the point where the cursor points. If the face is parallel to two axes, it doesn't matter. But for an inclined face, this is almost equivalent to a non-working snap. Is it possible to solve this somehow ? I tried using C-plane as well, but I couldn't get anything useful. And how do you do such snapping ?

It has that kind of snapping, but it seems to be broken. Primitive snap is mostly non-functional.
18 posts
Not being very familiar with Blender myself are you trying to do you something like this?

Snapping in Houdini is really good but can be confusing and unintuitive at first....it's actually surprising just how many options and methods are available.

Basic primitive snapping (left of viewport)....right click the icon.

Also check out https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/model/aids.html [www.sidefx.com] for ways to custom align handles too.
(you can align anything really easy, object , point etc but also and more importantly the *pivot* as well using this method)

A couple of gotchas.

1, Right click the handle and check the align option, set it to the required options.....world, component etc
(or press "m" on the keyboard to cycle options)

2, Sometimes working on a node with a pivot parameter is required, edit , transform etc....hard to edit a pivot position with nodes that don't have one right?
Edited by EZiniT - 2023年11月7日 07:53:04

Attachments:
Snap.gif (7.6 MB)

181 posts
If only it was that easy : ) Your example doesn't, unfortunately, reflect the original posters request.

Download the file I offered above: boolean seam_snap.hiplc
Delete boolean1 and edit1.
Now see if you can snap point 3 to the intersection of the vertical edge it lies on with the inclined plane.
Please let us know how if you succeed : )
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月7日 12:40:40
18 posts
Ah OK I see,

This is a very odd way of modelling since snapping generally requires "something" to snap too maintaining good topology (in this case the surface is a separate plane, even merged) being that this is **Houdini** if this method is really needed which would be rare then a quick wrangle to get an accurate intersection of the plane in the direction required to move the points in would do the job.

Not a fan of wrangles?....the "ray" node can be used too.

: )
Edited by EZiniT - 2023年11月7日 15:21:07

Attachments:
seam_snap.hipnc (173.2 KB)

102 posts
The ideal option would be alignment to the edge. This would solve all the problems with any polygons at once - straight, rotated, inclined, not in the plane, etc. Just choose an edge that fits and that's it. It's in the blender, but there is not and probably never will be in Houdini, because I don't see the slightest prerequisites for working with edges there. But there is already work with primitives and it needs to be improved a little and it seems to me already real !
if someone does not understand the problem, here is an example of a simple test, I sent it to tech support. I was making a complex model of many objects and I had to adjust parts of objects closely a lot, just by moving the points along the axes and resting on the "middle" of the target polygon, where it has no points to anchor. It's easy to do in a blender through binding to faces or edges, but when I tried to go the same way in houdini - it doesn't work. And the workarounds are just incredibly tedious and make it useless, you don't move 1 or 2 points. There are many of them at different times. This upsets me, I like the procedurality of being able to come back and correct mistakes or consider options. But snapping upsets.
I hope the developers will have time to work with snapping. I'm sending them a ray of help.
Edited by HGaal - 2023年11月8日 07:05:10

Attachments:
bandicam 2023-11-07 23-47-24-408 (1)_Joined.mp4 (6.2 MB)

181 posts
Frankly I agree. Can the above scenario be solved? Yes, of course. Pretty much any geometry manipulation can be done in H : )
Should it be an easy one drag direct-edit-with-snap operation? Yes it should!

I've submitted various snapping RFE's (Request for Enhancement) myself and all I can do is suggest you do the same.
I've no idea what workarounds support has suggested for the above, but I've attached one of my own : )

As an aside, if you want to focus on direct modelling in H you might want to explore / consider this:
https://alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com/l/modeler2023 [alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com] You can also check out the discord for modeller here: https://discord.gg/Ud7xUcQfMu [discord.gg]
Edited by Mike_A - 2023年11月8日 09:51:18

Attachments:
snapping by ray.hiplc (157.3 KB)

• Quick Links