Karma XPU with NVidia GPU on Linux

1816   15   3
12 posts
I have a problem with using my RTX 2070 Super for rendering in Houdini. I'm using MX Linux 23 with the nvidia driver version 525.125.06 and I'm checking the usage with nvidia-smi.

I tried the view port karma preview and the render to disk with the karma node set to XPU. But there is no GPU usage, it stays under 10% usage. When I move around in the view port or start a smoke sim with open-cl the usage increases up to 40%.

The necessary packages should all be installed because in Blender when I render on the GPU the usage goes up 99%.

I really hope someone can help me solve the problem, so I can finally stop using windows.
250 posts
Linux Mint user here, and I get 100% usage with my RTX 3080 when rendering with XPU, what do you use to monitor GPU usage, here I use the NVidia Control panel!
スタッフ
477 posts
rootsandstones
I tried the view port karma preview and the render to disk with the karma node set to XPU. But there is no GPU usage

What do you see in the top right of the viewport?
Something similar to this?
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_xpu.html#viewport [www.sidefx.com]

Can you see the "Optix" entry there?
If so, what % is it showing? It indicates how much of the rendering is being contributed to by the GPU vs the CPU. Something over 80% is what I'd expect.
12 posts
brians
rootsandstones
I tried the view port karma preview and the render to disk with the karma node set to XPU. But there is no GPU usage

What do you see in the top right of the viewport?
Something similar to this?
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_xpu.html#viewport [www.sidefx.com]

Can you see the "Optix" entry there?

No I can't see Optix there.
スタッフ
477 posts
rootsandstones

Ah, ok.
Then CUDA/Optix is failing to initialize.
Try rendering offline using the "karma" command but with a high verbosity level. You might get some more information about why XPU cannot initialize the Optix device.

Or you could wait for H20 and try again (it has better error reporting about failed devices)
But be warned it requires 535 driver minimum :/
477 posts
brians
Well, this is an unpleasant surprise.
535 wasn't even uploaded to Debian Experimental repository yet, and it will probably take half a year for this, or a newer version, to even reach Unstable. Are you sure this is not a typo?
7803 posts
ajz3d
brians
535 wasn't even uploaded to Debian Experimental repository yet, and it will probably take half a year for this, or a newer version, to even reach Unstable. Are you sure this is not a typo?

535 is already pretty old. The current driver is version 545
12 posts
jsmack
ajz3d
brians

For Linux 535 is the newest one on nvidia.com
7803 posts
rootsandstones
jsmack
ajz3d
brians

545.29.02 was released Oct 31st
7733 posts
rootsandstones

Did you search for under "New Feature Branch"? https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/214100/en-us/ [www.nvidia.com]
12 posts
brians
rootsandstones

Ah, ok.
Then CUDA/Optix is failing to initialize.
Try rendering offline using the "karma" command but with a high verbosity level. You might get some more information about why XPU cannot initialize the Optix device.

Or you could wait for H20 and try again (it has better error reporting about failed devices)

I started Houdini in the terminal and got this error when I started rendering.
Edited by rootsandstones - 2023年11月7日 12:48:45
477 posts
jsmack
Can a hardware driver that was released just about four months ago be called "old"?
After such a short time, I would think twice before even calling it "stable".
7733 posts
@rootsandstones the output of running hgpuinfo -cin your terminal with houdini_setup sourced might help diagnose the issue.
Edited by edward - 2023年11月7日 22:26:00
12 posts
edward
hgpuinfo -c

Anything out of the ordinary?
7803 posts
ajz3d
Can a hardware driver that was released just about four months ago be called "old"?

They come out almost every month, so yes? There is no stable with drivers, only bleeding edge and obsolete
7733 posts
Well, H20 is out now too so out with old and in with new!

@rootsandstones that seems ok, so I'm out of ideas.
Edited by edward - 2023年11月8日 21:14:38
  • Quick Links