Zero Out Object Rotations and Translations

818   9   0
66 posts
Hi,

I've got a piece of geometry that I've blasted from a model. I need to send it to the origin and zero out its rotations. I can send it to the origin, no problem. But, I can't seem to get the darn rotations to zero out. By "zero out" I mean the object is not rotated at the origin.
FYI: The object comes in pre-rotated...so I don't have a frame of reference (like a rest position) to work with.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks
Edited by TheDude123 - 2024年2月3日 10:45:32

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 9.46.00 PM.png (2.6 MB)
Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 9.46.10 PM.png (2.9 MB)

212 posts
It's a generally difficult problem if you need to do it procedurally. A good start is to use Bound SOP with oriented bounding box enabled then Match Axis.
Edited by kodra - 2024年2月3日 01:17:32
8575 posts
if it comes from alembic that was exported as a rotated object chances are it will contain transform as intrinsic

if the transform is already baked into geo for example from scan then you need to build reference frame yourself apart from Bounds sop you can build it from 3 points for example, origin, z and y
Edited by tamte - 2024年2月3日 08:19:21
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4520 posts
I posted a few methods here:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/84345/ [www.sidefx.com]
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
7794 posts
All these methods are guesses based on the shape. if you need the true original orientation, you're SOL
66 posts
jsmack
All these methods are guesses based on the shape. if you need the true original orientation, you're SOL
haha, nah...just need it at origin with 0 rotations so I can animated it easier.
I'll try the above methods from everyone.
Edited by TheDude123 - 2024年2月3日 12:43:48
7794 posts
TheDude123
jsmack
haha, nah...just need it at origin with 0 rotations so I can animated it easier.

Unless it's an fbx or alembic with a rotation on the object, it already has 0 rotations.
181 posts
For what you need... have a little play with the Labs straighten SOP.
66 posts
jsmack
TheDude123
jsmack

Unless it's an fbx or alembic with a rotation on the object, it already has 0 rotations.

Here is an example file...I can't seem to get it to work with the other methods...

Attachments:
Geo_Example.hiplc (2.2 MB)

66 posts
Mike_A
For what you need... have a little play with the Labs straighten SOP.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
  • Quick Links