Lots of missing fonts

   231   2   1
User Avatar
Member
619 posts
Joined: 3月 2014
オフライン
A lot of Windows system fonts that show up in any other app , are missing from the Houdini font list.

Currently I have to check what font I'd like to use in another app , and then manually browse to the windows system fonts folder before I'm able to use it.

From what I was able to figure out Houdini should use installed windows font list, but that appears not to be the case.

Does anyone know the trick to make Houdini load all available system fonts ?
User Avatar
Member
116 posts
Joined: 3月 2025
オフライン
As far as I recall, the catch is that there are fonts installed in the Windows system folder and others installed in the user folder. To be honest, I don't remember exactly why they are installed differently. Modern applications read fonts from both locations, whereas Houdini uses an older method that only reads from the system folder. So, the first solution is to manually copy the fonts into the system fonts folder. There might be a second method involving a variable in a configuration file, but I’m not aware of it.
User Avatar
Member
619 posts
Joined: 3月 2014
オフライン
Hey thanks,

That's what I initially googled up as well , there seem to be two fonts folders : a "C:\Windows\Fonts" folder and a "C:\Users\***\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts" folder.

But when I check , the fonts that are missing in Houdini's font list , are visible in both folders when I check in Windows Explorer.

But when I then browse to the "C:\Windows\Fonts" folder in Houdini , a lot of fonts that are visible in explorer , are missing in Houdini. I can only load them into Houdini from the "C:\Users\***\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts" folder.

And strangely enough , when I then try to copy these fonts from the "C:\Users\***\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts" into the "C:\Windows\Fonts" folder , I get a warning that the fonts are already installed and it makes no difference in Houdini.

But I just figured that it seems the only way to make all the fonts show up in Houdini , is to select the missing font you'd like to use in Houdini in the "C:\Users\***\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts" folder , then RMB click > show more options > "install for all users" ( ...or just select all the fonts ).

That seems to do the trick.

Now all we need is a decent drop down menu in Houdini that supports next and previous selection hotkeys , or at least remembers the last selection ....
  • Quick Links