Alt key in houdini on ubuntu

7979   3   0
38 posts
It gets in the way of performing camera navigation..
Is there a quick way to assign it to some other key, or
disable ubuntu from thinking it has something to do with it's
menus?
I donated the DEC Alpha Ton made his first 64-bit port of blender to.
Okay if I survive, SideFX has to be pretty cool. Otherwise this is a totalitarian regime.
4140 posts
One of the first things you need to do when setting up a linux workstation for use with Houdini is to alter the windows functions so you can alt-left click to set keyframes(and as you mention, some navigation issues). I use KDE myself, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the specifics on Gnome, assuming you're using that flavour of Ubuntu. In KDE it's under Desktop/Window Behavior/Window Actions and set the modifier key + left button to do nothing rather than move windows around.

Used to be for the longest time Gnome didn't allow you to change that(see: Metacity and Pennington, Havoc) but from what I've heard you can do that now. A quick google found this, which should send you in the right direction, something to do with the third level chooser, whatever that is:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1140961447;fp;2;fpid;37;pf;1 [computerworld.com.au]

If that's not it, you basically want to wring control of your alt key back from metacity, in terms of what to search for.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1145 posts
System/Preferences/Windows
- it's at the bottom of the Preferences list

change the setting to Super (or“Windows logo”)
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
4140 posts
…or that…

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links