Modeling with Houdini

30992   41   0
20 posts
I would like to know if it is possible is if is worth it of modelled with Houdini!! I want to say, to build complex models, like complete humans, or wild creature ! so mdeling like we modeling with maya, but with houdini !

igears
48 posts
is a new guy me self but i think it can be done
696 posts
yes
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
20 posts
si if i want, i can do something like that :

(it isn't me)

so, i want to say, there are no problems with a node ?
Because there will be many of node, at least 100 nodes of extrude will have no problems there ?
696 posts
Your limitation will not be in the software. It is certainly doable to do something like that in Houdini. You will be limited in that Houdini is not Zbrush. Doing highly detailed organic modelling is not advisable, nor would I advise someone to do that in Maya or Max. Programs like Mudbox and Zbrush exist for that type of work. But for surfaces like this, Houdini is certainly up for the task.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
20 posts
I ask me this question because a lot of people models under Mayan or other and importsin houdini for a task like simulation fur and hair…
192 posts
igears
Because there will be many of node, at least 100 nodes of extrude will have no problems there ?

Absolutely. From my experience - unlike construction history in Maya - having hundreds of modeling operations in a long chain doesn't slow the scene, balloon the size of your scene file, increase the likeliness of corrupt files, or cause unpredictable behavior.

Houdini is an excellent program for modeling.
20 posts
if i understood : for you, you thinks that is possible to modeling complex scene in houdini ?

i'm so sorry but i'm french ! and my english are not very good !
861 posts
It's perfectly possible and there are some brilliant tools. Procedural modelling is very powerful in its own right but you need to get your head around it.

The real question, for me at least, is if whether it is efficient? The clumsiness with manipulating polys along their normals is one big problem. If wish that could be fixed and that there was a tool similar to xsi's tweak.

Modelling in Houdini is very good but all a bit…long and convoluted…
--
Jobless
696 posts
Soothsayer
The clumsiness with manipulating polys along their normals is one big problem.

Oh, I'd almost forgotten about that.

Yeah. If you have multiple packages at your disposal, I might recommend you use something else if you're doing a one off model that doesn't need to be procedural. It's difficult to recommend Houdini as a modeling ap until someone at SESI improves the modeling tools' selection type retention and handle type (global vs local) retention on the poly extrude.

But if you don't have another ap at your disposal, Houdini will certainly get the job done. And if you need it procedural. Well, again, it will certainly get the job done.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
349 posts
Houdini is an excellent app for modeling. Once you get used to the workflow you will find it to be as fast as using Maya or Max (I have used both those apps for a long time).

Sometimes I do model in other apps and import into Houdini. My choice to do that is not because one appliaction is better than the other, its to keep my modeling skills frosty in the apps I do know.

What it all boils down to is the user. If you can model well, it doesnt matter what appliaction you use. If you understand how to use the tools in that app, your work will always turn out excellent. And speed comes with practice.
48 posts
rag thanx for that point it made me realize i can do most stuff in houdini
349 posts
leifdk
rag thanx for that point it made me realize i can do most stuff in houdini

Your welcome. And dont forget, that the things you might not know; thats what forums are here for.
861 posts
Also remember that you can model some things that are nearly impossible in other apps. Isosurface SOP springs to mind. Metaballs. Volumes. LSystems.
--
Jobless
20 posts
yes i did a procedural forest tutorial ! i was :shock:
295 posts
I've found Houdini pretty good at modeling, though I do wish it had a couple of other things in it. Most of the stuff on my blog has been modeled with Houdini with the exception of some ZBrush stuff. I've been able to follow along in Maya tutorials with very little hassle (specifically the Advanced Maya series at 3D Buzz, including the female character and spider - even using the sculpt tool on the spider ).

This is a link to some pics of some stuff I've done, after working with Houdini for several months:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?uname=jim.crafton&isOwner=true&tags=Houdini# [picasaweb.google.com]
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
295 posts
igears
so, i want to say, there are no problems with a node ?

Absolutely no problem. And you don't have to do this procedurally either, i.e. you don't have to build it like a Digital Asset, with controls for all sorts of parameters, you can model it the same way you might in Maya.
295 posts
I've found Houdini pretty good at modeling, though I do wish it had a couple of other things in it. Most of the stuff on my blog has been modeled with Houdini with the exception of some ZBrush stuff. I've been able to follow along in Maya tutorials with very little hassle (specifically the Advanced Maya series at 3D Buzz, including the female character and spider - even using the sculpt tool on the spider ).

This is a link to some pics of some stuff I've done, after working with Houdini for several months:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?uname=jim.crafton&isOwner=true&tags=Houdini# [picasaweb.google.com]
861 posts
I accidentally made some rocks today and thought it would be a good example to show what you can do with procedural modelling relatively easily. That took me less than 2 hours to make and you can slot in any object (a sphere and an octahedron in this case, but it could be a character too) and it will generate a stone version. Try doing that with a more traditional method!

Edit: I put more here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/9532-rock-hard/page__gopid__62643&#entry62643 [forums.odforce.net]
Edited by - 2009年7月31日 06:01:10

Attachments:
rocks_a.jpg (221.9 KB)

--
Jobless
8594 posts
very nice minerals Soothsayer

great looking, so lifelike
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links