Autosave isn't saving :/

3609   5   1
517 posts
Hi all,

Okay I've been putting off dealing with this but I just lost a bunch of work again because I was getting too sucked in and forgot to save. So I've made myself a 456.py file that turns the autosave feature on and saved a test file to the job to check it was saving backups but it just doesnt seem to create them. Should they appear in a backup dir under the file's path? I'm just not sure how this is supposed to work.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Pete
2042 posts
I don't know what to say to help you, but I've experienced a similar situation.

A couple days ago I was working on a file that caused Houdini to crash when adjusting a certain paramter.

The crashing sometimes like this is understandable when working out a new network and because of this I regularly explicitly do a save file with ‘Ctrl +s’ with every new node I put down and/or section of my project that is working with no problems. I also have auto save preference set to every minute and numbered backup like yourself selected.

However, the other day I was working on a file for about half an hour from the time I first opened up Houdini and was building up a network with my usual workflow with the exception of the last 5 minutes when I was trying something new and Houdini crashed.

So when I started up Houdini and opened the file again I was perplexed to see that I lost the whole half hour of work even though I had intentionally saved at a minimum 3 times before I got to the part of where I was trying to do something new - aside from the fact I have autosave set like you do in your pic above.

Opening up the bak file in the backup folder showed only one file sitting there with the same content.

So either I am like you and not understanding something or there is some kind of bug?
Edited by BabaJ - 2016年10月13日 09:09:34
517 posts
Hmm weird, I can't get it to save a backup at all
Glad I'm not the only one.
Maybe it is a bug!?! I guess I'll send a message to support.
Edited by peteski - 2016年10月14日 09:05:11
63 posts
Same problem.
From some build autosave seems broken.
Have you fixed the situation?
900 posts
Is there any less hacky way to turn on that toggle every time?
Edited by Andr - 2019年2月18日 10:49:38
555 posts
this definitely worked for me:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/houdiniformaxers/permalink/2428142627413271/ [www.facebook.com]
  • Quick Links