How to build and Install Houdini Engine for any Unreal version

4645   1   1
6 posts
Hi,

I would like to share with you the way I'm following lately to build and install Houdini Engine. I had some problems with specific versions and often, have been a headache to build the version.

It's working for me so far, even though is not the orthodox way to do it, is much faster than build a full project or depend of other members of the team.

1-Install Visual Studio 2019 with the Workloads of .Net desktop development and Game development with C++ at least. ( I have Desktop development with C++, but works without it too).
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ [visualstudio.microsoft.com]

2-Download your the proper HoudiniEngien source code from GitHub: https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal-v2 [github.com] (works for HoudiniEngineV1 as well). Extract files.

3-Open a cmd window and run the RunUAT.bat file with this command:

UE4Dir\Engine\Build\BatchFiles>RunUAT.bat BuildPlugin -Plugin="Just_Extracted_HoudiniEngine_Path\HoudiniEngine.uplugin"
-TargetPlatforms=Win64 -Package="OutputDir"

4-Copy the just builded plugin to the destination (project or engine) in my case: UE4Dir\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine

I did a video where I explain more in deep this way to Build and Install the plugin.

Don't hesitate to comment any improvement, error or suggestion. Will be super helpful to know. I found some errors in the build process like : "Platform Android is not a valid platform to build" but the build works well anyway. ( I would like to know more on this error though).

I hope it can help others, like than me, felt lost on how to build the proper version of HoudiniEngine

Oscar Gaya
Edited by Josich - 2021年1月20日 03:09:56

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-01-19 111843.png (156.8 KB)
Screenshot 2021-01-19 1118423.png (47.8 KB)

5 posts
Thanks! That's really useful
  • Quick Links