Importing OBJ Files Then Exporting As OBJ Loses Hierarchy

2034   6   0
128 posts
If I import an obj fie that has multiple objects and directly export (with zero changes) to a Geometry ROP as a Obj I lose the hierarchy when I take it back into other packages, it is from that point one solid object. I DO NOT WANT TO EXPORT AS ANY OTHER FILE TYPE. OBJ ONLY. Can anyone help?
Edited by VGriffith - 2021年11月2日 18:16:20
8576 posts
I'm not sure .obj can hold such information, it's a relative simplistic geometry format
it can hold named poly groups that would come in other packages as flat objects

or do you have an example of .obj file that contains hierarchy that you exported from another package and trying to match?
Edited by tamte - 2021年11月2日 18:30:05
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
128 posts
tamte
I'm not sure .obj can hold such information, it's a relative simplistic geometry format
it can hold named poly groups that would come in other packages as flat objects

or do you have an example of .obj file that contains hierarchy that you exported from another package and trying to match?

Okay attached so attached is two screen shots,

1. What we export from Cinema then import into Houdini
2. What we export from Houdini back into Cinema

"two_objects.obj" is directly from Cinema with a hierarchy.
"two_objects_Exported.obj" is directly exported from Houdini without a hierarchy.

Vincent Griffith
Edited by VGriffith - 2021年11月2日 18:55:01

Attachments:
two_objects.obj (17.8 KB)
two_objects_Exported.obj (27.8 KB)
What we exported.png (777.5 KB)
Imported From Houdini.png (746.3 KB)

7794 posts
VGriffith
If I import an obj fie that has multiple objects and directly export (with zero changes) to a Geometry ROP as a Obj I lose the hierarchy when I take it back into other packages, it is from that point one solid object. I DO NOT WANT TO EXPORT AS ANY OTHER FILE TYPE. OBJ ONLY. Can anyone help?

While obj supports tagging of groups and objects within one file, Houdini does not support exporting multiple objects in one obj export.
128 posts
jsmack
VGriffith

While obj supports tagging of groups and objects within one file, Houdini does not support exporting multiple objects in one obj export.

Wow that sounds like a very basic level thing that Houdini should support.
7794 posts
VGriffith
jsmack
VGriffith

Wow that sounds like a very basic level thing that Houdini should support.

https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit [www.sidefx.com]
5 posts
FBX and Alembic exports the groups as objects and keeps them when importing in Cinema 4d.
  • Quick Links