Karma properties on objects

857   8   2
253 posts
Is there a way to set karma properties on objects (in /obj level)? I needs to flag a few objects to not show up in reflections, in redshift each object could have a tab full of options to tweaks all sorts of things.
More code, less clicks.
スタッフ
451 posts
We're not currently providing Karma-specific control at the Object level. That said, this can be setup to work in Mantra (via the "Render Visibility" parm), and Scene Import is meant to make a Mantra scene "just work out of the box" in Karma ... so we're into valid RFE territory here

Can you try putting the attached Python script in $HOME/houdini20.0/husdplugins/objtranslatorsand see if you have any issues? It just does a straight lifting of the vm_rendervisibilityparm at the Object level and uses it to set the karma:object:rendervisibilityUSD PrimVar.

Attachments:
rendervis.py (676 バイト)
rendervis.png (344.1 KB)
rendervis.hip (499.3 KB)

253 posts
Brilliant, and please excuse the price winning graphics here, the blue marks aren't showing up in the reflections anymore, thx!

And the script let me to the docs, good to know it's there
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/sceneimport_object_translator.html [www.sidefx.com]

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-01-24 143405.jpg (76.2 KB)

More code, less clicks.
スタッフ
451 posts
Wonderful, thanks for confirming this works for you. I'll try to get it added to a Houdini build soon(ish).
Edited by robp_sidefx - 2024年1月24日 09:21:40
253 posts
Nice!

One quick question I can't figure out.. I'm sort of missing a proper renderview to iterate renders. There is the karma viewport which is excellent for previewing the visual output but doesn't provide a way to dive into the AOVs etc. Then there is mplay which sort of does it but not really.

Call me spoiled but when doing lookdev for renders I'd like a 'Render' button and a panel that show the render output being rendered in all it's glory. Both VRay and Redshift have proper VFBs that provide a lot of useful features. Fro example I've been trying to get a simple shadowcatcher to work for over 2 hours now, I got no idea what's going on and tbh I can't even tell if that feature is even available! I've been doing CG on quite a deep technical level for over 20 years, this should be easy for me
More code, less clicks.
8555 posts
robp_sidefx
Wonderful, thanks for confirming this works for you. I'll try to get it added to a Houdini build soon(ish).
adding properties one by one as the need comes up may not be ideal
as a workaround it could be nice to look for any known Mantra Property and translate to equivalent Karma one if applicable

however since there is a Karma ROP, to get back to the usual workflow, I think it'd a good idea to allow Karma Properties to be added, then the translators can translate them 1:1 and for artists it will feel more natural
Edited by tamte - 2024年1月24日 17:55:35
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
スタッフ
451 posts
Jonathan de Blok
Call me spoiled but when doing lookdev for renders I'd like a 'Render' button and a panel that show the render output being rendered in all it's glory

You're definitely not the first to ask for this, but I'd like to hear more definition from you about what such a thing is/isn't.

There is the karma viewport which is excellent for previewing the visual output but doesn't provide a way to dive into the AOVs etc.

On the AOV front, there is a button that'll let you switch between AOVs.

Attachments:
karmaViewer.png (1.3 MB)

スタッフ
451 posts
tamte
adding properties one by one as the need comes up may not be ideal
as a workaround it could be nice to look for any known Mantra Property and translate to equivalent Karma one if applicable

I appreciate the frustration as/when users find flags/parms that were missed (through "this won't map to Karma" or "we don't think anyone uses this" or any other reason). I hope that we are reacting quickly enough when "I need this!" is raised by our users, be it by us providing a patch (the plugin architecture of SceneImport has really made it a lot easier for customers to wrangle their own solutions and for us to deliver experimental work to them) or adding the support in a daily build not long after.

however since there is a Karma ROP, to get back to the usual workflow, I think it'd a good idea to allow Karma Properties to be added, then the translators can translate them 1:1 and for artists it will feel more natural

I'll ensure this is on the radar of the relevant developers. I don't want to speak for anyone regarding the degree to which this request is/isn't aligned with their overall workflow strategy.
253 posts
robp_sidefx
Jonathan de Blok
Call me spoiled but when doing lookdev for renders I'd like a 'Render' button and a panel that show the render output being rendered in all it's glory

You're definitely not the first to ask for this, but I'd like to hear more definition from you about what such a thing is/isn't.

There is the karma viewport which is excellent for previewing the visual output but doesn't provide a way to dive into the AOVs etc.

On the AOV front, there is a button that'll let you switch between AOVs.

Ahh I overlooked that AV button.. thx.

I'll start a new thread about the VFB!
More code, less clicks.
  • Quick Links