SideFX is pleased to announce SideFX Solaris at SIGGRAPH 2019. This presentation was recorded on Tuesday July 30 at the Houdini HIVE in Los Angeles. Solaris brings a new context called LOPS, or lighting operators, that brings native USD [Universal Scene Description] support to Houdini to allow for comprehensive lookdev, layout and lighting workflows.
- Geometry brought into LOPS becomes USD - USD remains USD while in LOPS.
- Solaris provides a visual editor for working with USD.
- Solaris supports a wide variety of lookdev, layout and lighting tasks.
- Solaris is a new context in Houdini Core, Houdini FX, Houdini Indie and Houdini Apprentice - not a separate application.
- A new USD-compliant renderer called SideFX Karma Render was announced for Solaris/USD
- This new renderer works with Hydra for fast IPR.
- This will be a fast CPU-based renderer with a GPU version of it being developed for a future release.
- Solaris also works with other Hydra-compliant renderers such as RenderMan.
2019 RenderMan Art & Science Fair
This year at SIGGRAPH over 1,500 attendees enjoyed an evening of VFX magic, featuring demonstrations and case studies from the year’s greatest productions … and of course everyone left with a RenderMan Walking Teapot. During this evening, Scott Keating from SideFX also introduced SideFX Solaris creating lookdev, layout, and lighting for RenderMan.