Modulate Cut Plane Offset in Voronoifracture Node?

3980   4   1
74 posts
Hi all,
is it possible to drive the cut plane offset with a control object(i.e. null)?
I want to animate a null object over an fractured object and drive with this null the cut plane offset by distance to the null object!
So the space between the fractured pieces getting bigger when the null object get closer to the pieces….

I saw that you can dive into the voronoifracture node but with my limited knowledge of houdini I wasn't able to solve my problem….

thanks for your time to answer my question…

cheers
nico
86 posts
I would personally do my scaling afterwards, rather than trying to do it inside the voronoi fracture node. Here's an example scene to show how this could be done:

Attachments:
scale_chunks_by_dist_to_null.hip (187.0 KB)

74 posts
wow, thats great ….it works fine…thank you man …. now I try to understand what you have done.

Have a nice weekend!
74 posts
O.K. after deeper look at your solution I see one Problem.

Your are scaling each chunk uniformly … so the fractured Object will lose their shape.

These was the reason I tried to do it in the voronoi fracture node. I thought if I had access to the cutting planes of the voronoi node I could move then individually along their normal direction.

But thank you anyway for your effort .
190 posts
It would be horrible inefficient i guess but you could have a go at it like this:

First “allow editing of contents” for the voronoifracture node.
There is a NULL called INPUT_CELL_POINTS that defines the amount of chunks you'll get. Now from here all the way up to the “switch_create_groups” you would have to copy this and put this in a for each loop.
Then inside the foreach delete all the chunks except the one that corresponds to your for-value.

Now you have the “cut_each_piece” node (which is the actual voronoi split) inside the for each loop. In here you'd have to calculate the distance between your null and the point that corresponds to your for-value and use that to drive the Offset in the Voronoi Split.

It's a bit of a hassle but i guess it must be possible.
  • Quick Links