HD and Unity3d

5370   3   1
249 posts
So i have searched the forums and found a few topics on this but they were quite old.

And i thought especially with the upcoming release of H12 that it needed to be brought up again since i think it will be the most character animation friendly version yet (with those fancy handles it makes a big difference in selecting and transforming).

But in the current version of H11 Apprentice HD i dont know of any solutions to export to the Unity game engine. I would love to use Houdini as the primary animation software for a test to see how things look but i am unaware of any workarounds for the current/future releases.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
678 posts
BUMP
140 posts
If you can wait for Unity 3.5, you can use HOM scripting to write out ASCII scene, prefab, and project files.

Of course that puts you in YAML hell, but Houdini and python are very good at dealing with text-based formats.
140 posts
I'm going to bump this, because in the immortal words of The Dude, new s*** has come to light.

Houdini/python has no native support for YAML, and Unity has no native support for JSON, which is how Houdini 12 saves geo and bgeo files, but both easily handle XML.

It's trivial to implement a Python (SOHO) ROP to output your scene hierarchy, and it's also trivial to make one for outputting geo data, assuming you know XML, the python XML library methods, and the HOM geometry methods.

It's also trivial to implement the same type of ROP to save your geometry to an XML file. Past a certain point, though, XML flattens out as a viable solution for moving large amounts of data.

On the Unity side, it's a little less trivial, but not much so, to implement a couple of Editor Script to parse your saved XML files and build objects and meshes in the hierarchy. This tends to slow down as your XML files get bigger and contain more things to parse, but I can give you this helpful tip

When creating objects, load all the unique meshes into the hierarchy from prefabs, then instantiate a bunch of copies from those (based on an instance attribute of course), because loading thousands of objects from disk is going to give you an involuntary coffee break, possibly an afternoon off.
  • Quick Links