Houdini on Mac

5110   5   2
32 posts
Are there a lot of people using Houdini on Mac. We have recently purchased new MacPro's. They, of course, came with Lion preinstalled. After installing Houdini and opening it, we encountered that all the interface icons are missing. Of course, we blamed this on Lion. Now we rolled back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Houdini starts and works with some random crashes when doing VEX, the biggest problem though is that my personal work station has Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB cards, with 27" Dell monitor connected to each card via DVI cable. When I have a VEX tree editor on the left monitor it gives me random errors while trying to create any node, also if at leas part of the Houdini interface touches second monitor it slows down significantly.
Does any one has solution to this sort of problem?
Dennis S. Sedov
639 posts
Hi Dan,

I've been running Houdini 11.1 on my Mac Mini 2011 (Lion) at home with no problem whatsoever here. No missing icons here.
Staff
181 posts
You might need to install X11 from the OS disk (it doesn't come installed by default)
32 posts
Problem solved! Seams I was running 10.7.0 instead of 10.7.2
Dennis S. Sedov
2 posts
My school uses version 10.0.734 and i wanted to install it on my mac. It is a 17 in., tiger generation MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard (64 bit) installed on it. The message I get when trying to open the install package says that I need a 64 bit intel machine. It is both of those things and it will not run. can someone help me?

Thanks.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2012-01-04 at 1.25.46 AM.png (230.6 KB)

2 posts
Along these lines I was wondering why the latest production build for Houdini on Mac has a * indicating this is not a officially supported platform.

* Side Effects Software does not officially support these platforms, and the suggested download is provided with no guarantee that Houdini will function properly.

Chad
  • Quick Links