Geometry renders with wrong transform

3555   4   2
11 posts
(I couldn't find a thread with a similar problem as I am having)

My problem is that my geometry appears to move when I attempt to render it as I am inside the geo's network (assuming that the transform node of the geo has been moved).

For example:
-I created a simple box (or default file node) and moved it <1,0,1> in world space using its scene transform node. This renders fine. (I'm using the Scene View ‘camera’ to render to MPlay)
-Then I dive into the geo's node and render here. The render presents the box at around <2,0,2>.
-Then I go back up /obj level, try rotating the transform node around Y at 45 degree increments, and then diving back down the geo network each time before I render. The result is the geo being positionally placed around around <1,0,1> (radially), though no actual rotation on the geo is being applied.

I'd like to know if this is a known bug, or if there is a way to circumvent this behaviour. I've already positioned up some geometry in my small scene and proceeding to texture it; that's why I'm diving down to geo level where my shopnet, uvprojects, and materials are located. But this behaviour is making my objects a moving target.

Many thanks!
2624 posts
Please post up a simple scene file showing the problem.

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
181 posts
A scene file will be most helpful.
Though, for proper testing, I recommend putting down a camera and a mantra node and use those for rendering, rather than View:Mantra
11 posts
@silvina: Thanks heaps for your advice: by creating a new camera and using that to render the bug is no longer present.

But for completeness I attached the scene file nevertheless because I managed to reproduce the problem and some other notable features cropped up. It took me awhile to be able to reproduce it; I still don't know exactly what causes it, but I put it down to a ‘state’ problem, whereupon I load a particular ('suspicious') scene and it ‘corrupts’ Houdini to exhibit the bug as long as the session is open. If I close Houdini and re-launch, the bug doesn't show up.

-The attached scene was created in that same Houdini session where the bug started happening.
-The scene was tested by re-launching Houdini and loading the scene; the bug is there when using a Scene View camera.
-In addition, the scene, very strangely, loads very slowly, which may or may not have something to do with it. Opening the hipnc file I notice that there are named referenced to my original ‘suspicious’ scene that shouldn't be there.
-Again, rendering with a new camera (non-Scene View) seems to correctly render the object.

Thanks Rob and silvina for taking the time.

Attachments:
supertemp2.hipnc (84.7 KB)

454 posts
Hmm. Just seeing something like this too.

Can't stop it from happening by adding a new camera though. Also, we get a full scene render from within an object, as well as the double transform issue.

:shock:
  • Quick Links