H11 -> H12 open older files

2759   5   1
217 posts
Hi H12,
I'm wondering if I'm the only one, but I'm unable to open any older file. H12 crashes with “segmentation…” It always takes a lot if time before the message appears.

W7 64bit
AMD X6 PHENOM 1090T
16GB
ATI FirePro V5800(FireGL)

changed the $Home, OGL to H11 and Master12.0.543.9 installed.

Sorry
Detlef
217 posts
Hi again,
I found out, that it is the cookie that let's crash H12. Attached a part of an old file with a strange result at the cookie-sop. Turning on the polybevel works in H11 but H12 crashes with a “segmentation…”
So I'm unable to load older files because of the cookie-sop that I've used in any of my files;o) - I can't open older files in H12.

Any idea?
Detlef

Attachments:
TestCookie02.zip (13.6 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
try opening the files with a desktop that doesn't have a viewport
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
217 posts
This file was OK, but greater files crashes with “segmentation…” all are made with H11
No H12 for me?
Detlef
Staff
6245 posts
The cookie sop can become quite sensitive, especially when the intersecting geometry lines up exactly. With all the changes to the underlying geometry in H12, different code paths will be taking by the same geometry, resulting in different point counts and primitive numbers output. (And possibly failed cookies where it worked before, and vice versa) Your downstream SOPs then will be confused as they ask to polybevel points 53 and 76 but they no longer correspond.

When moving between major Houdini versions (or between linux/windows) it is good to lock your models.

That said, it shouldn't crash. If you could provide a file that crashes, with the upstream geometry locked, we can at least avoid the crash. But I suspect even if we stopped the crash you'd find it is bevelling the wrong edges.
217 posts
But I have many files I'm unable to open without an open viewer (without cooking) and how can I look forward to work with files that are OK in H11?
OK, I can correct cookies but first I must be able to open the file;o)

Thanks for help
Detlef

Attachments:
Serverraum_V3_woFBX.zip (390.8 KB)

• Quick Links