Difference between render view and render output - why?

22071   13   2
66 posts
I see lots of difference between images in viewport and render output, can anyone explain why? This is second time im getting it, and i cannot find the reason.
I'm on H12 12.0.543, win64.

PS: Is there any way to render a sequence and view currently rendering frame in render view?

Attachments:
lotsacubes.hipnc (401.3 KB)
Render.jpg (154.2 KB)
Renderview1.jpg (143.5 KB)

wbr, Mudvin
509 posts
hi,

check if the “preview” checkbox is enabled in the render view. \
it changes the render settings no matter what your mantra settings are, the online help will explain better what and why.

as per the sequence just render the output to an Image Viewer?
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
66 posts
Preview is enabled, but turning it off changes nothing, i'm still getting that yellowish noise. Actually it somehow linked to envLight in the scene(envLight has beige cast), without it everything is fine, well, except the fact that i don't have fake gi lighting now.

As for the sequences: i mean - is it possible to set mantra to render the sequence to files as normal, but monitor what you getting on output in render view, or something like that. The same way it's done in, say, XSI.

PS: I had the same effect while ago, and iirc there's also was involved envLight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWDUOtsOMs [youtube.com]
wbr, Mudvin
299 posts
I am failing to see the problem/error. In the render view you don't sample the env light as much as in the final render, hence when a sample hits a very bright spot of the hdr it can have a huge impact on that pixels value and therefor you get the noise.
Drive, monkey, drive!
66 posts
Ehmm….the problem is that in render view image looks better than in file output. I'm not using HDRs at all.

Anyhow, it's not about the setup, i cannot understand why using the same ROP i'm getting different results in render view and in file output?
wbr, Mudvin
299 posts
Ahh, I totally switched the pictures in my head. Still looks like a sampling issue tho.

What renderengine do you use for the render output? MicroPoly, raytrace or pbr?
Drive, monkey, drive!
1769 posts
it's simple, you use micropoly engine by default, thats why you get blotchy render when you render in mplay, however when using renderview, the preview button forces mantra into raytrace mode and in raytrace mode the lights are much better sampled by default, so you get a nicer image.

if
you turn off the preview checkbox in renderview, you will get the same thing, the blotchy one.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
66 posts
buki is right, switching to raytrace in mantra1 rop produces nice smooth renders, while turning off preview introduces undersampling artifacts.

I found that lights is ok in micropoly engine with something like 24-32 samples in envLight node.

Thanks guys.
wbr, Mudvin
66 posts
And still 2nd question left: is it possible to render both to “ip” and to file sequence, to monitor the output?
wbr, Mudvin
1769 posts
i think you can only render either to ip(mplay) or to disk, not both at the same time, but you can always save your sequence from mplay
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
509 posts
buki
it's simple, you use micropoly engine by default, thats why you get blotchy render when you render in mplay, however when using renderview, the preview button forces mantra into raytrace mode and in raytrace mode the lights are much better sampled by default, so you get a nicer image.

if
you turn off the preview checkbox in renderview, you will get the same thing, the blotchy one.

that's pretty much what I meant, sorry I didn't added about the raytracing thing although the help page would have pointed that out first thing

I'm interested to know if that fixes the problem because I'd like to know otherwise if this is something different.

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
66 posts
Yep, rising the samples on both light in the scene to 16-64 totally fixes that “glitch” for micropoly engine. Rendering test right at this moment on workstation.
wbr, Mudvin
299 posts
I prefer increasing Shading Quality when rendering with MP instead of going crazy with the sampling on the env and area lights. It usually gives a quicker rendertime with the same result.
Drive, monkey, drive!
66 posts
Thanks for tip, gonna try it today.
wbr, Mudvin
  • Quick Links