Conform spline to mesh, merge/create break line

5034   2   1
1 posts
Hey Folks,

Brief description of what I'm trying to achieve.

I have a high detail TIN terrain mesh of a golf course created from Lidar data and decimated via Meshlab, which I've imported into Houdini for further refinement. A satellite image was mapped to the vert colors, saved as .ply format and imports beautifully into Houdini.

What I want to do is use the Bezier Curves (freehand mode ideally) option to trace specific areas on the course (tees, bunkers, greens) in top view to create a spline for each area. Simple enough.

However, I can't figure out how to then conform the spline only to fit to the underlying terrain mesh AND then merge the spline with the mesh, thus creating a nice, clean break line? The idea is to do the aforementioned and then use the new edges to add precisely extruded “cuts” around these feature areas to simulate 3D bunker lips and grass cut transitions.

There is a pipeline for achieving this in Max via either a Conform modifier or Glue plug-in followed by MergeShape spline option. But…I'd much rather find a workable solution in Houdini.

Thanks in advance!
217 posts
sorry for the short answer, but the ray sop can achive the same results as the conform modifer of 3ds max! hope that helps you a bit!

cheers
217 posts
try this!

Attachments:
getCurve.hipnc (51.2 KB)

• Quick Links