H12 FLIP fluid not sinking correctly?

6860   5   0
304 posts
Hi there.

I detected a strange behaviour while testing the new FLIPs. When I add a sink at the attached scene as soon as it deletes some particles, the source stops..well, sourcing.

I´ve used both sinks and FLIPs in the past, so I know this is not the expected behaviour.
I tried both with my own sink box, and the default box, and both show the same problem.

Can anyone quickly confirm this before I submit this as a bug?

H12.0.559, Win 64 here.

thanks.

Attachments:
FlipsProblem.hipnc (1.0 MB)

Javier Meroño
FX TD.
304 posts
After some research I have noticed that if I deactivate the reseeding of particles the source doesn´t stop sourcing BUT only because the sink isn´t working anymore.

This smells more and more like a bug to me…
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
304 posts
I don´t know if all the views and no reply means that most people agree in this being a bug, or that I´m missing something really obvious I wanna be sure because the last bug I submitted, ended up being a new feature I didn´t know of :?
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
Staff
6176 posts
This is a bug, please submit and provide a link to this thread.

Unfortunately, the new sop-based sourcing for FLIP was made very late in the development cycle so there are still some incompatibilities with the old POP based source/sinks.

For this example, you will get much better results by adjusting your Volume Limits to create the kill box you desire rather than using a particle fluid sink. In general, for the fastest FLIP sims, you want to avoid bringing in any particle nodes as they force it to create particle primitives.

The problem seems to be that the particlefluidsink uses Remove Unused Particles to delete the dead particles. But that is also deleting the freshly sourced particles. I'm not sure why the Ensure All Points Are Particles isn't occurring first - I suspect that is the bug.
304 posts
Thanks Jeff. Very good explanation and hints.
I was already resizing the volume container to kill the particles, but I didn´t know a sink could actually slow up calculations. It´s very good to know.

I have submitted the bug.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
66 posts
Is there any progress with this bug?
NicoZ
  • Quick Links