Instances wire shapes not showing up

4363   6   1
13 posts
Hello

I am new to Houdini so my question might seem silly for some. I use H12 apprentice and I have a problaem with displaying instance wire shapes in viewport.

I followed instructions on this page, seems it couldn't be simpler.
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/particles/instancing_rendering [sidefx.com]

Jut so you know, this is a new install of H12, I didn't touch any preferences yet. I tired on two different computers with no luck.

Scene: a particle emitter, a cube (polygon mesh).
I chose instance from the top shelf, choose particle emitter, confirm with enter, choose cube confirm with enter.
A dialog pops up asking if I want to the particle object render options to enable instance rendering (at least that's what I understood), I choose yes.
The template and display flags on the instance node are on.

Now, if I go to render window - the instances are rendered out nicely, the instancing works.

My problem is that I want the instanced objects wire shapes to be visible in viewport while I experiment with the settings. On the page I linked it states we need to enable template flag on the instance node (by deafult it's on). But whatever I do in viewport I only get particles, no wire shapes.

What am I missing? Where is the magic button?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Peter
112 posts
Can you upload your file?
13 posts
Yes. Here it is.
I tried to do the same task on two different machines so it's really strange. Either I'm doing something completely wrong, or there is something wrong with my machines. They both have nVida gpu and win 64 bit (first one vista second 7).

Attachments:
instances.hipnc (108.4 KB)

112 posts
If I open up your file in H11 it shows me wired instances upon templating instance flag of instance pop but not in H12.

One more thing that I noticed was
1)Select particle location object Rclick and select edit para interface, it will open up a window.
2)Go to for rendering option, at the bottom of the window in filter option type instance and press enter. Result will be Mantra folder, if you expand that you will see instance folder drag and drop it on the root. Press accept and apply.
3)Now you will have instance para on your particle location obj.
4)Turn on point instancing and select the obj to instance.
5)You will see the instance obj in view port only when you are at scene level.
13 posts
Thanks! That worked. With Your solution I can see the instances in the scene level. This will be enough for me to experiment with it.

Still it's a little strange I can't get them working in the particle level, even though the manual clearly states it's possible.
Staff
5161 posts
This problem was fixed in 12.0.642.
13 posts
twod
This problem was fixed in 12.0.642.
I confirm that. After downloading and installing latest build this problem is gone Thank You.
  • Quick Links