Software OpenGl Mode warning

8548   7   0
5 posts
I have installed Houdini Apprentice latest version, but I get this warning , when I try to open it.

What to do?Please Explain.

Attachments:
houdini-opengl-mode_125.png (8.2 KB)

2624 posts
Hi it might help if you post your machine specifications including video card and driver.

rob
Gone fishing
5 posts
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 3402

It was once opened somehow
I don't know how?
Staff
5161 posts
We do not support Intel graphics hardware. Due to some show-stopping issues with their OpenGL driver, Houdini automatically drops to software rendering instead of using Intel's hardware-accelerated, but very buggy, driver.
80 posts
Just wondering if this is still the case for the 3rd gen core i-7/i-5's?

Thanks.
Staff
5161 posts
Yep, the HD 4000 still has rendering bugs, such as drawing the menubar in the parm dialog area, and not drawing the parm dialog at all. Picking handles also doesn't appear to respect depth, so transform handles always tumble. There's a few other issues which could be addressed by code workarounds, but until the above two are fixed by Intel, there isn't much point in doing so.
1 posts
I was wondering, my laptop has two gpus, so…

one is intel 4000, which you say makes houdini to drop to software opengl mode. That's cool.

Another is nvidia geforce gt 630m, and I was wondering if somehow I can tell houdini to use this gpu. Any thing through nvidia settings? or some houdini environment setting?

my laptop is an Asus K53vm

it would be really great if I could run the viewport in hardware opengl mode!
7733 posts
Try setting the environment variable, HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 0. YMMV.
  • Quick Links