Where do I find these assets/tools when they download?

8620   7   2
11 posts
Downloaded the Height Map Landscape Generator from Orbolt for H12 Apprentice and the screen says it was installed and downloading to Houdini and that's it. Can't find it anywhere on my system nor do I have the slightest idea where to look. Went through my OTL looking for it as a Digital Asset, but nada. Am I missing something? I'm fairly new to Houdini only been playing with it for about 4 months and trying to learn it.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be great! Thanks!
197 posts
Open a new pane, and set it to orbolt asset broswer, I hope this helps!
27 posts
When you download an asset, a new instance of Houdini should automatically open with an example HIP file (for assets that have one, which all SideFX assets should).

For reference, assets are downloaded to the following directories:

• Windows
    Username/My Documents/houdini12.1/asset_store/user/otls

Linux
    ~/houdini12.1/asset_store/user/otls

Mac
    /Users/username/Library/Preferences/houdini/12.1/asset_store/user/otls
    If this isn't happening, there might be another issue at work. Make sure you're using at least version 12.1.33 of Houdini. If it still doesn't work, send us a bug report at support@orbolt.com and include your OS and what's happening/not happening.
11 posts
@nbush - That's what I needed to know. I'm not using the latest version. I haven't updated to Houdini 12.1. I'm still using 12.0. That's likely my issue because it doesn't have the tie-in build to Orbolt yet.

Great! Thank you for the info.
7025 posts
RFE: Please offer an option to NOT open the new Houdini each time It gets old really fast when downloading quite a few.

RFE: Option to check “download” or “add to cart” then do a bulk download.

RFE: Progress bar on download. Especially for larger assets (ENV map ones, for instance)
Edited by - Aug. 18, 2012 13:22:23
20 posts
I agree it should be possible to just download the file without opening Houdini immediately. Though it's not the worst thing in the world I guess and it's nice all assets are instantly integrated (ie, no fiddling with unpacking files and moving them to folders).

A shopping cart system would be nice, that way you can also clearly see how much money a list of assets costs combined.

I'm not sure what pbowmar means with “Progress bar are download.”, but I guess you want a progress bar for the download? Not sure why though, Firefox and afaik all other modern browsers have build in progress bars for downloads.

btw, thanks for posting the folder with assets, I assume I can just remove them from there if I want to remove an asset? Maybe an option from Houdini to remove assets would also be nice. I just prefer to remove assets I'm not going to use (because I expected more from the asset for example), just to keep things clean.
27 posts
pbowmar
RFE: Please offer an option to NOT open the new Houdini each time It gets old really fast when downloading quite a few.

RFE: Option to check “download” or “add to cart” then do a bulk download.

RFE: Progress bar on download. Especially for larger assets (ENV map ones, for instance)

I've created bugs/RFEs for these (50670, 50671 and 50669, respectively) since we've heard these before.

whythisname
btw, thanks for posting the folder with assets, I assume I can just remove them from there if I want to remove an asset? Maybe an option from Houdini to remove assets would also be nice. I just prefer to remove assets I'm not going to use (because I expected more from the asset for example), just to keep things clean.

You can uninstall assets in Houdini by going to the Asset Browser pane, right-clicking on the asset icon, and choosing “Remove Asset”.
11 posts
Just wanted to mention that my issue was resolved. I was on an older version of Houdini. As soon as I upgraded to 12.1 everything works as planned.

@nbush - thanks for your help.
  • Quick Links