Parametric Dome

8125   4   3
2 posts
I would like to make a hexagonal parametric dome, and in the attached file, is an example of how i have done a small portion of the dome. But i realised that if i were to adjust the number of rows and columns of the hexagon to change the shape of the dome, i would have to redo all the “attach wires to surface” and “wire spring constraints” nodes. Is there a way to resolve it?

Also, besides doing trial and error, is there a way to know the optimum strength to input for both constraints?

Attachments:
HexagonalStructure_fixed2.hipnc (294.6 KB)

Wai
Staff
2540 posts
Packing a sphere with hexagons only works if you have pentagons inserted in there as well. You can't make a dome out of hexagons alone.

The easiest way to construct this is to just put down a Sphere SOP and set it to polygons (triangles) then follow up with a Divide SOP and turn everything off but the “Compute Dual” toggle.

Increasing the frequency on the Sphere SOP will increase the hexagons and pentagons.

Builds you the classic “football” or “soccer ball” here in N.A.
There's at least one school like the old school!
2 posts
Thank you for the reply. I tried the suggestion that you gave, but i realized that when i did that, the hexagons are sort of distorted and that the pieces are not the same.

Sorry but maybe it's the way i phrase my subject title, rather than trying to achieve a dome, i am trying to achieve an organic structural form using the same piece of hexagons as much as possible, which is something like a gridshell structure. Refer to the image attached as a reference to the kind of form i am looking for. I was trying to play with the pieces of hexagons first to see the curvature of it, and then eventually pull down different points of the form to create such organic shapes.

Any ideas on how i can achieve such structure, which has been done by others on grasshopper, on the houdini interface instead?

Attachments:
IMG_1497-590x442.jpg (82.7 KB)

Wai
Staff
2540 posts
Something like this?

Attachments:
divide_compute_dual_hexagon_structure.jpg (131.1 KB)
divide_compute_dual_hexagon_structure.hip (1.1 MB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
479 posts
thanks, Master jeff!

learned a lot from this concise demo !

- J
  • Quick Links