Rendering Smoke/ Particle simulations

2592   3   1
4 posts
I'm trying out a few things with particle generated smoke and am having some issues rendering. I have lights and a camera and everything, but my smoke doesn't show up when I go to render it.

Also, I created a custom OTL (with a lot of help from my instructor) to drive the particle simulation. Will upload it as well as the file.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
ASprung

Attachments:
RocketThruster.otl (13.9 KB)
Engine_Thruster_V02.hipnc (1.2 MB)

57 posts
hi ASprung,

I see a few things that aren't setup properly in your scene.

You shouldn't be rendering your autodopnetwork directly, turn display on that off and change the display flag to your import_pyro_build object.

Apply the transform at the object level for the camera, not at the sop level. It looks like the icon has moved, but if you look through the camera again it is still at the origin.

Your disk light is perpendicular to the area that you want to illuminate and is too low in intensity for a physically correct falloff.

I changed those three things in your scene to get an image, it is a start. Keep checking your alpha channel and also using the adapt to full pixel range button in the render view or in mplay to check if you are getting an image.

hth
4 posts
Awesome thanks zephyr707! Just made those changes and it's working now!

Still learning the ins-and outs of Houdini so this is very helpful!

Thanks again!

ASprung
57 posts
glad to hear it helped

i'm very much still digging through the rabbit hole that is houdini, as well. it is a fun journey and it's great that we have a supportive community!

all the best
z
  • Quick Links