Need help with a smoke grenade

3318   2   1
25 posts
I am trying to create the effect of an m18 smoke grenade, but I am having trouble trying to control the fluid. I was wondering if anyone has done this before or has any suggestions on how to go about getting the smoke to act correctly.

Something I am looking for is the way that the smoke disperses out after so long and begins to fade away. Also, looking for a nice flow effect so the smoke looks like it goes with the wind direction.

I am using a wind asset that I created from the volcano tutorial and I also started the effect using the PyroFX volcano asset.

I am really into learning how to make new tools and expressions.

Here is a flipbook of what I have right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TsakomLIU&feature=youtu.be [youtube.com]

Also, a link to the effect im trying to create.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d227zKrC0RA [youtube.com]

Thank you everyone that can help.
224 posts
Hi There,

Just a couple of thoughts… Try to turn the buyancy down. Your smoke rises quite fast. Also play with temperature diffusion, a higher diffusion rate often results in smoke that disperses and blurs more over time (in this case when it rises). It will also rise less fast because the temperature will be less present.

A vortex force around your source can help you achieve your spinning effect. Create one in SOPS using vops (similar to the Volcano tutorial)

Also, there is a gasWind dop node, that can be plugged in to the vel input of the solver. This guy pushes your fluid in a certain direction but also introduces a rolling effect. It helped me out in the past.

Use a bit of turbulence to shatter the smoke, but with a low roughness setting.

You could also mask the diffusion effect to take effect only in areas where you want the smoke to disperse.

Hope it's of any help
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
25 posts
Thank you, You have helped me out a lot. I haven't had time to go in and try it out yet do to other projects, but i'm going to look into it tonight.

Thank you,
Jason Healy
  • Quick Links