Transfer attributes to instance geo

3041   3   0
230 posts
I am using the Instance node in geometry level to render thousands of objects but I want to transfer the attributes like color from the points to the actual geometry as you can do in with copySOP. I have attached an example file. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments:
instance_attr_transfer.hip (217.6 KB)

16 posts
I don't think you can get the attributes from the points at the sop level of the instanced geo, only at the object level. So to get the color, you must use point() and instancepoint() on the shader. Take a look at the file.

Attachments:
instance_attr_transfer_215.hip (218.4 KB)

230 posts
insania
I don't think you can get the attributes from the points at the sop level of the instanced geo, only at the object level. So to get the color, you must use point() and instancepoint() on the shader. Take a look at the file.

digging little more to the forums I came in front of what you said, so I guess you are right but the workaround you are using in our attached scene works for me just fine. Thanks

P.S. I also found this from Peter Claes' blog and which is very interesting that combines copySOP with instancing in rendertime. http://www.peterclaes.be/blog/?p=34 [peterclaes.be]

cheers
230 posts
what about the normals? when you instance with copySOP the geometry has the direction of the point's normal but in instance geometry all of them facing in the same direction. Is there any workaround on this?

Edit: my mistake, I had deleted the normals. It works fine.
  • Quick Links