RGB object disapears

3032   6   2
25 posts
I have a piece of imported geometry from Maya. a simple sphere that was extruded inward. I then changed the sphere into a rigid body. Although, when the sphere hits the ground plane it will just vanish every time. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

When I use Houdini objects everything will be fine.
I am also using the bullet engine for this, however when I use the RBD engine it works fine.
Edited by - Jan. 9, 2013 23:17:00

Attachments:
Ball_Shatter01.hipnc (273.7 KB)

373 posts
I'm guessing the ball is flying off into oblivion for some reason. Probably something in the way the geometry is set up. Try turning off “polygons as convex hulls” it may not like the ‘extruded inward’ geometry. Would have to see it to give any more ideas. Can you post the file?

(lock the imported piece of geo before uploading by clicking the red flag on the node so you don't have to upload the obj/fbx)
Ian Farnsworth
25 posts
Just uploaded the file in the main post, thanks for the help.
373 posts
In my version ( 12.1.125 ) it doesn't disappear, but instead, what's happening is the ‘inside sphere’ and ‘outside sphere’ are being considered two separate objects, and on the first frame it tries to separate them (which it does nicely for me). Assuming that isn't the intention, using an rbd object instead of rbd fractured object will fix it. If you want the inside sphere to roll around inside the outer sphere, then bullet probably won't work well for that, if at all.
Ian Farnsworth
25 posts
Awesome, Thank you for trying this out. For some reason the school only has version (12.0.581) but I have (12.1.125) at home so I guess ill just have to do it there.

I guess I should have mentioned that the overall effect is going to be a hollow glass sphere filled with a thick liquid that is going to spill out of the sphere when it crashes to the ground.

thank you.
373 posts
You'll want to keep that modeled as a shell, and actually in theory using bullet should work fine. When you go through the breaking process, just make sure each of the fragments is a solid object, and when you start with the sphere it comes into dops as one object, not as two.
Ian Farnsworth
25 posts
ok, thanks
  • Quick Links