Ocean FX, unable to load texture.

12781   8   3
50 posts
Hello guys. As i was watching the latest tutorial by sidefx on oceanwaves i found really disturbing that i couldn't keep up with the tutorial since everytime I'm hitting render the only thing i see is a flat surface with some sort of voronoi foamed texture. Thing is, all by sudden in the houdini console a message appears:

“mantra: Unable to load texture ‘CUsers/User/maps/ocean_displace.0001.pic’”

This happens for either the fetch_export_ocean node is or is not connected to the mantra node. (saving displacements or generate them in real time)

Would someone point me in the right direction on how to solve this issue? Is this some sort of bug or am I just being dumb?
Frustrating…
Thank you all.
221 posts
If you are using the Apprentice version, you'll need to manually change the filename extension on your texture maps to .picnc.

Otherwise, I'm not sure.
50 posts
fantastic dave.. That really did the trick. I was able to go into the export to texture tab and change the exported texture settings into picnc and voila… Problem solved…
This limitation is however kind'a weird.. I mean.. Ok… Let it be.
Thank you so much!!!
43 posts
I have followed the tutorial exactly as well. My extension is changed to .picnc, but I cannot get the Ocean Preview node to render maps at render time as in the tutorial.

It will render them fine if I do it manually by clicking Render, and then everything works fine, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the fetch_export_ocean Out node in the first place?
43 posts
Never mind.. IPR renders don't work
2 posts
try to rename the file like examp wave.DM.76456675.tiff to wave.DM taking all the number junk out solved my problem for disp maps
2 posts
i watched some guy explain said it confuses Houdini its a old bug i think
58 posts
If you change the output of the surface render node to .picnc instead of the default .pic it will change the default file format of the displacement map in the ocean surface material. This way you wont have to change file types after they have all been rendered
10 posts
I just had the same issue, changing the extensions of the maps to .picnc did the trick. Thank you for helping me without having to ask
  • Quick Links