Collapsing Flip Fluids

5845   5   1
7 posts
Hey,

So I'm having an issue where when I have fluids inside an animated container, they wont hold their volume. As soon as the geometry moves they just begin to collapse in on themselves. I have reseeding turned off so I can see that all the points still exist, they just exist on top of each other. If the geometry is not animated it will hold its volume. I have been running into this issue for a while now whenever I try to fill a container with fluid, anybody know what I may be doing wrong? Ill attach a simplified sample file as well. Thanks!

note - Changing the velocity type in the collisions tab of the fluid solver helps but the issue still happens. Just slower.

Attachments:
collapsing_fluids.hipnc (1.4 MB)

245 posts
I've changed a few things in your scene (see screenshots for more information).

First I've disabled the xform node, and instead I've transformed the geometry at /obj/ level, so altering the SOP node instead.

Then you can go to autodop and disable “deforming geometry” because its not actually deforming, its transforming. When you enable “deforming geometry”, your object will actually be recalculated every frame which can cause slowdown. Next you need to change the OBJ path or in the static object node or else it wont take in account the transformations.

Attachments:
1.JPG (34.4 KB)
3.JPG (62.7 KB)
2.JPG (20.6 KB)

7 posts
Well that's interesting, it does fix the issue. Problem is in the scene I am working on the animation is being brought in as an alembic from elsewhere so I don't know if I can set the animation to be read on the obj level.
245 posts
When you import Alembic files you will have nested geometry files usually, some of them are actually geometry nodes (at /obj/ level).

So when you import .abc files you get one alembic node with many nodes inside that one.

What I would do is create a new Geometry node, inside that one place down an “object merge” node, and fetch the Alembic geometry (see screenshot).

The “transform object” part specifies which node it should use for transformations. Here you can fetch the nested abc node with some sort of animations..

Attachments:
abc.JPG (68.4 KB)

7 posts
Right so I have been using the object merge method but instead of “into specified object” I have had it set to “into this object”. After changing that though the dop net still doesn't seem to see this as an obj level transformation. Sorry if I am missing something fairly obvious here. :?
7 posts
Hey all,

So I spent a long time trying to use collision volumes to act as a container but I wasn't able to have the fluid source node create an accurate enough volume representation to behave the way I needed it to. A friend of mine helped me get this working though and as usual in my experience, it turned out to be a simple drop down. In the fluid solver in the volume motion > collisions tab the velocity type needed to be point instead of rigid. This allowed me to use rbd's for the collision type which was faster than the velocity volume method, and still have the fluids hold their separation. Here is a sample file of how I have it working now.

Attachments:
Fixed_Collapsing_Fluids.hipnc (1.4 MB)

• Quick Links