Exporting Whitewater particles to Maya

15870   11   2
43 posts
Is there any reliable way to export Whitewater shelf tool particles (or any particles for that matter) from H13 to Maya 2014?

I have tried using Engine but either get errors about things being outside of the subnet and\or using absolute paths (I have everything that I could find set to use a relative path). Either that, or the asset is created fine, but it imports into Maya with nothing actually inside it. I haven't had any problems with geometry, just particles.

I have also had no luck with Alembic. I have tried a few different methods, but it always seems to end up importing particles into Maya and giving errors about particles having no mass etc.

I used FLIP fluids to create a waterfall, and Whitewater for the spray. I can get my Collider and Fluid exported fine, just not the spray (particles, or volume)
1391 posts
What's your problem with export your particles via Alembic or Houdini Engine !? :?
I used both one in my projects with any problem !

About Houdini Engine Just make Digital Asset with simple File SOP should be work :?

Check my Digital Asset to loading your particles in the Maya with Houdini Engine ,Maybe it's can be help you 8)

Just export your particles to the bgeo formats from Houdini and import these files in the Maya with my otl file.

You should fill File Paths parameters like below in the Maya :

for example your bgeo files saved in : C:\TestFolder\Particles.#.bgeo

So :
File Path = C:\TestFolder\
File Name = Particles.
Format = .bgeo

NOTE :
1. Your frame's style must be like this example
2. If you have Dot sign "." in your path ,So you should write this Dot in the parameters correctly ,exactly like above example

Attachments:
JKBgeoReader.otl (10.5 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
43 posts
Your OTL works great! Thankyou very much.

I had tried to use a file SOP before, and it would create and import into Maya using Engine OK, it would just not load any particles. From you example, I am guessing that the File SOP needs absolute paths?
1391 posts
Yes ,Exactly ,In the Houdini engine we should use absolute path ,Because Maya doesn't know Houdini's env variables like $HIP , $F , $T and etc

Also you can load any sequential format like *.obj with this Asset ,But you should be careful about File Input parameters

And you can decrease and increase speed of your animation with Time Wrap section 8)
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
43 posts
OK so sometimes it works ok, other times it is not loading any particles. The bgeo files do contain particles as I can use a File node or something similar in Houdini to read the bgeo's and they do contain particles.

Does the loader only work with files using $F when output, as the last lot of particles I am trying to load were saved with $F4 numbering.?

It would be great if I could get the Houdini PRT Output ROP compiled and working for the latest Houdini release (I am not a coder and compiling from source gives me headaches), as Alembic works fine for all my geometry, I just want my particles in Maya to render with Krakatoa.
43 posts
I have tried to use the Realflow plugins in the mean time, but for some reason, they aren't working. My Realflow shelf is full of buttons labelled as “Undefined” and they all give errors about being unable to find the Realflow plugins, even though the .dll files are there in my Houdini DSO folder.

I'm starting to lose faith in being able to do any particle work outside of Houdini
1391 posts
Does the loader only work with files using $F when output, as the last lot of particles I am trying to load were saved with $F4 numbering.?

Yes ,This DA just work with $F format (Not $F4) ,But this is just a simple example and you can complete it your self ,In my projects it's not important and I using $F format !

If you have another problem for loading your particles in the Maya with this Tool,Please upload an example file :wink:
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
43 posts
Thanks!
15 posts
Hey Rabiee,
I was trying to use your otl with no success inside of Maya.
I've been trying to be extremely precise with the file name and format but I had no luck.
Some help please?
Could you maybe upload a file that works so I can go on from there?

Thanks
1391 posts
Diego Grimaldi
Hey Rabiee,
I was trying to use your otl with no success inside of Maya.
I've been trying to be extremely precise with the file name and format but I had no luck.
Some help please?
Could you maybe upload a file that works so I can go on from there?

Thanks

I don't have Houdini and Maya right now ,Maybe your problem is for Maya and Houdini version ,Try it on another versions.

When I come back home ,I will make an example file for you :wink:
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
At the first check this otl inside Houdini ,If it's work correctly ,Then check another otl in the Maya ,Maybe your Houdini Engine doesn't install correctly :?
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
25 posts
I wonder how can I make it with Alembic…
Any ideas??
  • Quick Links