keep foam outside the box

2452   4   1
36 posts
The approach that houdini uses to setup the whitewater for ocean fx it's pretty cool but… I'd like to keep foam outside of the “main grid”, I don't want build a huge grid just to calculate foam extension, right? I thought that “treat as ballistic” could be a solution, not sure yet because I am still simulating (I'll update about that)

Anyway, I still looking for a cheap solution in terms of performance to keep foam outside of grid. My first idea was make use of a big grid with waves calculating vel and use that to advect/collide with foam generated by my object (a boat for instance).

Any ideas for that? I'll appreciate that, thanks for any help.
36 posts
Here's my setup scene, pretty simple. The idea is to generate foam with huge extension, like a boat crossing the ocean with big trails in the backwards.

It's important to freeze that I don't wanna use big grids for matters of performance.

So, using pump to solve that does strange behaviors modifying the surface mesh. I'd like to mimic a turbulence caused by ship propellers, that comes below de ocean surface, I'm using flat tank for that example.

I guess the most important here is the foam trails, because the surface I can modify using waves and ripples later.

I'm not sure, but… Could be convenient use a secondary emitter to create more particles below the surface? This bring a new problem: generate particles and wave tank at same time with flip.

thx!

Attachments:
FoamTrails.hip (2.0 MB)

36 posts
Updating. Using plane to Source Flip now, I also made changes in white water source for better visualization in preview.

Attachments:
FoamTrails.hip (2.0 MB)

36 posts
OK, I think this one is the best test so far.

1. I changed in “brute force” mode the whitewater to generate random particles.
2. dops did all the job to generate foam, I just set it to ballistic mode.
3. I use ray sop to keep the ballistic particles into the ocean surface.

the ocean surface is the same ocean spectrum but optimized for the purpose.

heres the hip, anyone has a better approach? PLZ!

Attachments:
FoamTrails_SourcePoints.hip (2.2 MB)

1 posts
i just shared your post in facebook houdini group
  • Quick Links