Simple bouncing particles

7878   4   2
71 posts
Hello,

I come back to Houdini after a little while and some things have changed, especially with the dynamic objects, and I have troubles to find my marks again.

So I try to make a simple bouncing particle on a grid.
The thing is I can make it stop, slide, stick… but not bounce. As mentionned on the node it is because the collider is not a static or dynamic object.. I then converted it to a static object and added it in the CollisionDetection DOP but I still cannot make my particle bounce.

Can someone explain how to make that work, and where to set up the bouncing behavior?

Thank you very much
Video Game Graphics TD
1391 posts
How did you convert it to the Static Object ?
To use it as static object , you should add “Static Object” node in your AutoDopNetwork , then define your object in the “SOP Path” parameter , In this case your particles should be bouncing on the Static Object.
NOTE : Also you should connect “Static Object” to the “Static Solver” , not “POP Solver”
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
71 posts
Hello Rabiee,

Thank you for your answer.
I checked all the points you mentionned and everything seem to be ok and though I keep having the particles going through the grid.

This is, step by step, what I did (and I did it again to be sure):
  • - I created a grid
    - I droped a Static Object DOP from the toolbar on it. It then created an AutoDopNetwork with the solver in this network. The Static Object get connected to a Static Solver.
    - I dropped a Location Particle Emitter into the scene
    - I then dropped a Collision Detect Particles in the scene, once again from the toolbar, and selected the grid. The Collision Detect is added into the AutoDopNetwork and my particles get red when going through the grid.

… and them what?
    Particles are still not bouncing on the grid and, well, I really don't see where to change that.

I've attached the described scene to the post.

Thank you once again for your help,

Best regards

Attachments:
ShouldBeBouncingParticles.hipnc (270.9 KB)

Video Game Graphics TD
71 posts
I played again with the scene and found that particles are bouncing as expected on other kind of objects such as spheres and boxes.
It may be due to the fact that these primitives define volumes and not surfaces.

I thet tried to thicken the surface of the grid in its Static Object DOP, and tweaks some other settings too, but nothing changed.

At lead I have an alternative to my issue by using a box instead of a grid but I still have no idea how to make a grid work in that case.
Video Game Graphics TD
1391 posts
When your object is 2D like grid , you should use “Terrain Object” instead of “Static Object” :idea:
Check attached file :wink:

Attachments:
JK_shouldbebouncingparticles.hipnc (260.6 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
  • Quick Links