Change stiffness on collision

2867   2   1
17 posts
This might be a noob question, but I’ve looked it up and found nothing.

In the attached example I’m trying to rise the stiffness of the parts of the wire that have touched the floor, much like it’s colour already does.

In the VOP SOP inside the SOP Solver I’ve already written to the ‘kangular’ attribute, but it seems that the Wire Solver doesn’t care. I’ve tried reordering the Multiple Solver’s inputs, changing the priority, even connecting the SOP Solver to the data input of the Wire Solver (which Houdini didn’t like at all :?).

I know I have to be missing something.

Attachments:
Memory wire.hipnc (198.2 KB)

Staff
329 posts
Unai
In the VOP SOP inside the SOP Solver I’ve already written to the ‘kangular’ attribute, but it seems that the Wire Solver doesn’t care.

The Wire Solver looks for a “kangular” attribute on the “RestGeometry” subdata (not “Geometry”). Use the SOP Solver's “datapath” to specify the “RestGeometry” subdata. You will likely want to update the SOP network to also fetch the “Geometry” subdata so its positions can be used in the /obj/geo1/dopnet1/sopsolver1/vopsop1/minpos1 calculation.
17 posts
Thank you so much! You were totally right. I’m attaching the working version, just in case someone stumbles upon a similar problem.

So the VOP SOP now uses 3 inputs: Wire’s RestGeometry, Wire’s Geometry and the floor. If I just used the Geometry it wouldn’t simulate properly, as the SOP Solver would update the RestGeometry’s point positions with those of the Geometry’s (kind of double simulation).

Apart from that, I’ve had to make another SOP Solver that copies the RestGeometry’s colour to the Geometry, so the wire shows up white when stiff.

Anyways thanks again, I’ve been stuck with this for nearly a week now. I didn’t expect such a fast answer!

Attachments:
MemWireSolved.hipnc (206.4 KB)

• Quick Links