HDK plugin loading troubleshooting

3186   5   1
69 posts
i have a hdk plugin that compiles, but doesn't load. i have HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR=2 set.

anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for things i can check for troubleshooting?
229 posts
what kind of plugin is it ?
a SOP node ? a VEX expression ?

with sop nodes you could do a
'dsoinfo -q -s' to check for loaded sop plugins

for vex and mantra the procedure is different.

Seb
69 posts
it's a dop.
9 posts
I had a similar issue in the beginning. I would recommend checking the compiler flags and that the linked libraries are copied into the right locations (Dependency Walker helps if you are running Windows).

In particular check that you link against Release runtime (/MD for Visual C++ dll) even if you make a debug build.

EDIT: Also defines. I have the following defines, adjust the version accordingly:

“WIN32”,
“_USE_MATH_DEFINES”,
“_DLL”,
“BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK”,
“VERSION=\”13.0.476\“”,
“NOMINMAX”,
“_USE_MATH_DEFINES”,
“_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE”,
“_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE”,
“_SCL_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS”,
“BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB”,
“MAKING_DSO”,
229 posts
sorry mate, but you're infos are very sparse, it would be the same as if i would ask someone why my computer is not working.

are you on linux/osx/win ?
where is your plugin installed to ? is this in the DSO - search path ?
do you have dependencies to external libraries other than houdini-libs ?

etc… etc..

what have you tried ? and what did not work ?
69 posts
xubuntu 12.04 LTS

plugin installed to:
/home/username/houdini12.5/dso

i have other dependencies and have put them in the usual place (/usr/include and /usr/lib) and ran ldconfig.

my dependencies are shared.

ubuntu 12.04 comes with gcc 4.6. i wanted to match houdini 12.5 gcc4.4 so i have both compilers installed via sudo update-alternatives –config gcc (which is pretty handy and easy compared to manually trying to have 2 gcc versions installed)

when i compile with 4.4, it doesn't load. when i compile with 4.6 the plugin loads. not exactly sure why 4.6 works over 4.4. maybe somethings break when using sudo update-alternatives –config gcc?
  • Quick Links